Greek Life, News

Panhellenic Council plans for spring semester

The Panhellenic Council, a group of women who serve as the governing body for eight of the University of Miami’s sororities, has formally initiated its new members. The group is working together to plan events for the spring semester.

President Amy Halpern, a member of Alpha Delta Pi, zeroed in on a key ingredient of the Panhellenic community.

“What is really unique about Panhellenic is our commitment to sisterhood,” said Halpern, who was elected  president in November. “Each chapter has their own sisterhood, but there is also a special connection between all sorority women.”

Though many events are still in the works, Halpern said there are plans to bring a member of the Dove Campaign for Real Beauty to campus on Feb. 12 to speak to the Panhellenic members about body image and women’s empowerment.

Panhellenic’s comprised of eight sororities including: Kappa Kappa Gamma, Sigma Delta Tau, Alpha Delta Pi, Zeta Tau Alpha, Delta Gamma, Chi Omega, Delta Delta Delta and Delta Phi Epsilon.

Though each sorority has a specific philanthropic mission, all are based on the tenets of community service, philanthropy, scholarship and leadership.

The council presides over these sororities and helps with the organization and execution of everything from recruitment to philanthropy. This year’s council members come from four of the sororities: Kappa Kappa Gamma, Alpha Delta Pi, Zeta Tau Alpha and Delta Gamma.

Panhellenic members also extend a hand out to women around the world. Though each sorority has its own philanthropy, there is also the overall philanthropy for the entire community called Circle of Sisterhood.

The Circle of Sisterhood aids women who are victims of abuse, trafficking or poverty through education. The sororities will team up to host events throughout the semester that will raise money for the cause.

One of the new council members, Kiki Rossman-Reich, is a senior nursing student and member of Kappa Kappa Gamma. She has taken over as the council’s vice president of recruitment.

Rossman-Reich, who transferred to UM from UCF, said Greek life played an important role for her as a transfer student.

“I was new to campus, and I wanted to meet new people and get involved as soon as I could,” she said. “I wanted to find something that I could do for the next three-and-a-half or four years of my life to really get involved, and I love it.”

In her position, she plans out the formal recruitment program at the start of spring semester.

Steven Priepke, assistant dean of students and director of Greek Life, said the Panhellenic community makes its mark in many ways, particularly of the important role of philanthropies.

“One of the most significant impacts the Panhellenic community has is its philanthropic activities,” Priepke said. “They raise tens of thousands of dollars in an academic year.”

InfoBox:

Here are the eight officers of the Panhellenic Council:

·       President- Amy Halpern

·       VP of Communication- Peri Diamond

·       VP of  Philanthropy- Becca Singer

·       VP of Administration – Stephanie Schwartz

·       VP of Records- Brooke Homovec

·       VP of Coordinators- Bettina Schumacher

·       VP of Finance- Eryn Davis

·       VP of Recruitment- Kiki Rossman-Reich

Marlee Lisker

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

Finally, Tate Martell knows what 2019 will hold and it’s good news for the Miami Hurricanes. After m ...

The theme of the 48th Annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

Sophomore Aloki Patel, a double major in Biology and Criminology in the pre-med track, spent spring ...

Returning to campus, former UM President Donna E. Shalala discussed the “irrational decision” that a ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

Miami's Hurricane Club announced the launch of The New Miami Fund Wednesday. ...

The No. 25 Miami women's tennis team will visit the Tar Heel State to play a pair of top-15 opp ...

Bastias took the time to reflect on his chemistry with fellow classmate Franco Aubone, his transitio ...