Greek Life, News

Panhellenic Council plans for spring semester

The Panhellenic Council, a group of women who serve as the governing body for eight of the University of Miami’s sororities, has formally initiated its new members. The group is working together to plan events for the spring semester.

President Amy Halpern, a member of Alpha Delta Pi, zeroed in on a key ingredient of the Panhellenic community.

“What is really unique about Panhellenic is our commitment to sisterhood,” said Halpern, who was elected  president in November. “Each chapter has their own sisterhood, but there is also a special connection between all sorority women.”

Though many events are still in the works, Halpern said there are plans to bring a member of the Dove Campaign for Real Beauty to campus on Feb. 12 to speak to the Panhellenic members about body image and women’s empowerment.

Panhellenic’s comprised of eight sororities including: Kappa Kappa Gamma, Sigma Delta Tau, Alpha Delta Pi, Zeta Tau Alpha, Delta Gamma, Chi Omega, Delta Delta Delta and Delta Phi Epsilon.

Though each sorority has a specific philanthropic mission, all are based on the tenets of community service, philanthropy, scholarship and leadership.

The council presides over these sororities and helps with the organization and execution of everything from recruitment to philanthropy. This year’s council members come from four of the sororities: Kappa Kappa Gamma, Alpha Delta Pi, Zeta Tau Alpha and Delta Gamma.

Panhellenic members also extend a hand out to women around the world. Though each sorority has its own philanthropy, there is also the overall philanthropy for the entire community called Circle of Sisterhood.

The Circle of Sisterhood aids women who are victims of abuse, trafficking or poverty through education. The sororities will team up to host events throughout the semester that will raise money for the cause.

One of the new council members, Kiki Rossman-Reich, is a senior nursing student and member of Kappa Kappa Gamma. She has taken over as the council’s vice president of recruitment.

Rossman-Reich, who transferred to UM from UCF, said Greek life played an important role for her as a transfer student.

“I was new to campus, and I wanted to meet new people and get involved as soon as I could,” she said. “I wanted to find something that I could do for the next three-and-a-half or four years of my life to really get involved, and I love it.”

In her position, she plans out the formal recruitment program at the start of spring semester.

Steven Priepke, assistant dean of students and director of Greek Life, said the Panhellenic community makes its mark in many ways, particularly of the important role of philanthropies.

“One of the most significant impacts the Panhellenic community has is its philanthropic activities,” Priepke said. “They raise tens of thousands of dollars in an academic year.”

InfoBox:

Here are the eight officers of the Panhellenic Council:

·       President- Amy Halpern

·       VP of Communication- Peri Diamond

·       VP of  Philanthropy- Becca Singer

·       VP of Administration – Stephanie Schwartz

·       VP of Records- Brooke Homovec

·       VP of Coordinators- Bettina Schumacher

·       VP of Finance- Eryn Davis

·       VP of Recruitment- Kiki Rossman-Reich

Marlee Lisker

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...