The Week Ahead

The spring season is heating up for several Miami sports. There are numerous opportunities to catch the Hurricanes in action this weekend and next. See below to check out who’s in town for games and which teams are preparing for the season ahead.

BASKETBALL

It’s going to be a busy few days at the BankUnited Center, where both the men’s and women’s basketball teams will host formidable opponents.

First up: Third-ranked Duke is in town Thursday night to face the Miami women. Always an intriguing matchup, Hurricanes coach Katie Meier – who played for the Blue Devils – will look to slow her alma mater down.

Duke (20-1) is unbeaten in ACC play this season, while Miami (11-9) is just 3-4 in conference. Tipoff is at 7 p.m.

On Saturday at 4 p.m., the Miami men’s team (10-9, 2-5 ACC) welcomes Norfolk State for an important nonconference matchup. The Canes have dropped two in a row to ranked ACC teams, so they have a chance to get back on track before Pittsburgh visits the BUC on Wednesday night.

BASEBALL

The Hurricanes are ranked No. 16 in the annual Baseball America preseason poll, which was released Monday.

Miami is coming off a year in which it earned a postseason berth for a record 41st straight season.

This season will feature a complete returning rotation of starting pitchers, which includes junior Bryan Radziewski and senior Chris Diaz.

Radziewski, a first-team All-ACC honoree, was named a preseason All-American by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association.

Seven starters will return to the Miami lineup on offense.

The Canes are one of six ACC teams ranked in the top 25 to start off the year. No. 1 Virgina, No. 5 N.C. State, No. 6. Florida State, No. 13 Clemson and No. 17 North Carolina all appear in the preseason poll as well.

Miami’s season will kick off Feb. 8 with its annual FanFest and Alumni Game. The activities will be held at Mark Light Field at Alex Rodriguez Park starting at 4 p.m.

TENNIS

Miami is riding high after wins over LSU and Ohio State cemented the Canes’ place in the ITA National Indoor Championships.

But before taking off for Virginia next week, the women’s tennis team has a date with Florida Gulf Coast at home.

The Hurricanes will take on the Eagles on Thursday at 5 p.m., looking to build on their 2-0 spring record. Currently ranked No. 9 in the country, Miami has been sharp in both singles and doubles.

“They raised their level. They were paying attention to details much better. They were playing cleaner,” coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said, assessing her team’s performance in the ITA Kickoff last weekend.

FGCU is 2-1 entering Thursday’s match.

Spencer Dandes

Day Two of spring practice began at about 9 a.m. or thereafter on Wednesday at the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Prosecutors have released video that shows ex-University of Miami star running back Mark Walton snat ...

The word “swag” was mentioned multiple times Tuesday at the inaugural Miami Hurricanes spring practi ...

How did Tate Martell’s Phoenix-based attorney, Travis Leach, convince the NCAA to permit Martell to ...

After a quick courtship, Daran Branch is the newest member of the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020. A ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

The University of Miami's Raheem Chambers was named the ACC Men's Outdoor Track Performer ...

Hear from the Hurricanes as they opened up day one of spring football inside the IPF. ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

Miami rises 13 spots to No. 23 nationally. ...