The Week Ahead

The spring season is heating up for several Miami sports. There are numerous opportunities to catch the Hurricanes in action this weekend and next. See below to check out who’s in town for games and which teams are preparing for the season ahead.

BASKETBALL

It’s going to be a busy few days at the BankUnited Center, where both the men’s and women’s basketball teams will host formidable opponents.

First up: Third-ranked Duke is in town Thursday night to face the Miami women. Always an intriguing matchup, Hurricanes coach Katie Meier – who played for the Blue Devils – will look to slow her alma mater down.

Duke (20-1) is unbeaten in ACC play this season, while Miami (11-9) is just 3-4 in conference. Tipoff is at 7 p.m.

On Saturday at 4 p.m., the Miami men’s team (10-9, 2-5 ACC) welcomes Norfolk State for an important nonconference matchup. The Canes have dropped two in a row to ranked ACC teams, so they have a chance to get back on track before Pittsburgh visits the BUC on Wednesday night.

BASEBALL

The Hurricanes are ranked No. 16 in the annual Baseball America preseason poll, which was released Monday.

Miami is coming off a year in which it earned a postseason berth for a record 41st straight season.

This season will feature a complete returning rotation of starting pitchers, which includes junior Bryan Radziewski and senior Chris Diaz.

Radziewski, a first-team All-ACC honoree, was named a preseason All-American by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association.

Seven starters will return to the Miami lineup on offense.

The Canes are one of six ACC teams ranked in the top 25 to start off the year. No. 1 Virgina, No. 5 N.C. State, No. 6. Florida State, No. 13 Clemson and No. 17 North Carolina all appear in the preseason poll as well.

Miami’s season will kick off Feb. 8 with its annual FanFest and Alumni Game. The activities will be held at Mark Light Field at Alex Rodriguez Park starting at 4 p.m.

TENNIS

Miami is riding high after wins over LSU and Ohio State cemented the Canes’ place in the ITA National Indoor Championships.

But before taking off for Virginia next week, the women’s tennis team has a date with Florida Gulf Coast at home.

The Hurricanes will take on the Eagles on Thursday at 5 p.m., looking to build on their 2-0 spring record. Currently ranked No. 9 in the country, Miami has been sharp in both singles and doubles.

“They raised their level. They were paying attention to details much better. They were playing cleaner,” coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said, assessing her team’s performance in the ITA Kickoff last weekend.

FGCU is 2-1 entering Thursday’s match.

Spencer Dandes

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...

Head coach Aljosa Piric announces 2019 fall slate. ...

Miami women's basketball team dominated its final game in Italy by defeating the Venice All Sta ...