Spring election dates approach

Welcome to the January edition of the monthly Student Government (SG) column. I’ll be highlighting all the exciting things we have in store for the semester.

One of the biggest things SG has coming up is spring elections. In these elections, you will be voting to elect new executive officers (president, vice president and treasurer) as well as new senators. This is an incredibly important time, as the people you elect will be representing you and your interests to the rest of the campus community. A detailed elections calendar, as well as other information about elections will be available on miami.edu/sg. Voting will begin Feb. 17.

ECO Agency will be running the Kill-a-Watt competition from Feb. 17 to March 7. This competition will take place across 11 buildings on campus that currently have the LUCID software installed, which tracks real-time energy use. The building that saves the most energy at the end of the competition will be crowned the winner and be given a prize. ECO will be tabling in the Hecht and Stanford residential college lobbies to provide more information.

We also have a few programs coming up later in the semester, including a trip to the Venetian Pools and the State of the U address on March 20. Keep an eye on our Facebook page for details.

I’d also like to highlight a few initiatives that have been completed. Student Government worked with Dining Services, and we are proud to say smoothies will now occasionally be available in both the Hecht-Stanford and Mahoney-Pearson dining halls. We are also excited that construction has begun on an outdoor fitness court located on the Intramural Fields near the Wellness Center.

We are also happy with how well Spring Kickoff went. A collaboration between SG and Canes Night Live, the event was a tremendous success. Around 925 students attended an evening filled with funnel cakes, whack-a-mole, a pet costume contest, a pie eating contest and much more.

Let us know what SG can do for you by stopping by the SG Office in SAC 210 or finding us on online at facebook.com/UMiamiSG, twitter.com/UMiamiSG and miami.edu/sg.

Adam Orshan is a senior majoring in international marketing and finance.

Adam Orshan

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

Ebuka Izundu had a career night as the Canes took down Stephen F. Austin, 96-58. ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...