Spring election dates approach

Welcome to the January edition of the monthly Student Government (SG) column. I’ll be highlighting all the exciting things we have in store for the semester.

One of the biggest things SG has coming up is spring elections. In these elections, you will be voting to elect new executive officers (president, vice president and treasurer) as well as new senators. This is an incredibly important time, as the people you elect will be representing you and your interests to the rest of the campus community. A detailed elections calendar, as well as other information about elections will be available on miami.edu/sg. Voting will begin Feb. 17.

ECO Agency will be running the Kill-a-Watt competition from Feb. 17 to March 7. This competition will take place across 11 buildings on campus that currently have the LUCID software installed, which tracks real-time energy use. The building that saves the most energy at the end of the competition will be crowned the winner and be given a prize. ECO will be tabling in the Hecht and Stanford residential college lobbies to provide more information.

We also have a few programs coming up later in the semester, including a trip to the Venetian Pools and the State of the U address on March 20. Keep an eye on our Facebook page for details.

I’d also like to highlight a few initiatives that have been completed. Student Government worked with Dining Services, and we are proud to say smoothies will now occasionally be available in both the Hecht-Stanford and Mahoney-Pearson dining halls. We are also excited that construction has begun on an outdoor fitness court located on the Intramural Fields near the Wellness Center.

We are also happy with how well Spring Kickoff went. A collaboration between SG and Canes Night Live, the event was a tremendous success. Around 925 students attended an evening filled with funnel cakes, whack-a-mole, a pet costume contest, a pie eating contest and much more.

Let us know what SG can do for you by stopping by the SG Office in SAC 210 or finding us on online at facebook.com/UMiamiSG, twitter.com/UMiamiSG and miami.edu/sg.

Adam Orshan is a senior majoring in international marketing and finance.

Adam Orshan

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...