Community, Edge

Save these dates for cultural craze

Spice up the shortest month of the year by expanding your weekend routine. Break out of the usual pattern of house parties, SoBe, Grove, repeat, and immerse yourself in the spectrum of Miami culture. Check out The Miami Hurricane’s calendar of February events you won’t want to miss.

Kele Okereke at Bardot Feb. 6

The lead singer of British rock band Bloc Party, Kele Okereke, will spin at Bardot on Thursday, Feb. 6. Spend the night surrounded by trendy 20 and 30-somethings appreciating Okereke’s unique sound. Enjoy the set and toss back a couple of drinks; it’s technically almost the weekend.

Tickets are $15. Doors open at 10 p.m. Bardot is located at 3456 N. Miami Ave.

Wynwood Art Walk Feb. 8

The Wynwood Art Walk is a monthly ritual for many artsy Miamians, but it’s also great for the casual viewer. Every second Saturday, the public is invited to walk around Wynwood and enjoy the culture. Experience the street art that made this area famous, from the unforgettable Wynwood Walls to the variety of galleries. This month’s Art Walk is Feb. 8.

The Wynwood Art Walk is located between NE 20th St. and NE 36th St., and from NW 6 to NE 2 Ave. For more information, visit wynwoodmiami.com.

Coconut Grove Arts Festival Feb. 15-17

The 51st annual Coconut Grove Arts Festival will feature claywork, digital art, edible art, 3-D mixed media, glass, watercolor and photography, exposing the average viewer to mediums they never experienced before. The three-day festival showcases art from more than 380 international artists and craftsmen. Tickets for Coconut Grove residents are $5 and $15 for the general public.

The Coconut Grove Arts Festival is from Feb. 15 to Feb. 17. Coconut Grove Arts Festival is located at 3390 Mary St.

Toro y Moi Feb. 18

Anyone looking for new, cutting edge music should check out Grand Central on Feb. 18 to watch chillwave performer Toro y Moi. For those unfamiliar with chillwave, it is ambient hipster electro music that involves synthesizers, looping and sampling.

Concert is open to all ages. Doors open at 8 p.m. Tickets cost $15. Grand Central is located at 697 N. Miami Ave.

Moksha Roots Feb. 21

Frank Malvar

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...