News Briefs 1/30

Social justice week

Social Justice Week continues on Thursday with the program Mental Health Disparities from noon to 1 p.m. on the Green. ActivisUM will be from 7 to 9 p.m. in the SAC South and will feature the organizations that are part of the SJW’s Steering Committee.

Social media program

The Toppel Career Center will be hosting “Leveraging Social Media for Your Job Search” from 11 a.m. to noon on Monday. The program will showcase how to use different social media platforms effectively for networking and job searches.

Lunar new year

The Asian American Students Association and the Chinese Students and Scholars Association will be celebrating the Lunar New Year from 7 to 11 p.m. on Monday at the UC Patio. The night will feature free food, traditional and modern performances, drums and gongs. There will also be cultural tents featuring calligraphy, opera mask face painting and the art of tea. The event is free and students are encouraged to wear red or a traditional outfit as part of the event’s customs.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...