News Briefs 1/30

Social justice week

Social Justice Week continues on Thursday with the program Mental Health Disparities from noon to 1 p.m. on the Green. ActivisUM will be from 7 to 9 p.m. in the SAC South and will feature the organizations that are part of the SJW’s Steering Committee.

Social media program

The Toppel Career Center will be hosting “Leveraging Social Media for Your Job Search” from 11 a.m. to noon on Monday. The program will showcase how to use different social media platforms effectively for networking and job searches.

Lunar new year

The Asian American Students Association and the Chinese Students and Scholars Association will be celebrating the Lunar New Year from 7 to 11 p.m. on Monday at the UC Patio. The night will feature free food, traditional and modern performances, drums and gongs. There will also be cultural tents featuring calligraphy, opera mask face painting and the art of tea. The event is free and students are encouraged to wear red or a traditional outfit as part of the event’s customs.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Canes on Canes, a student organization, will host an informative online discussion about the anticip

Victoria Coverstone, a University of Miami mechanical and aerospace engineer, answers some questions

The spring 2020 issue captures life as a ’Cane before and during COVID-19.

A study led by Justin Stoler, University of Miami associate professor, analyzes how water insecurity

Warm ocean temperatures combined with neutral El Niño conditions could make this hurricane season on