Fight winter weather with friendly fashion

It is officially “winter” in Miami, which for Floridians means the time of the year when we can go outside without the fear of heatstroke.

Now is also the time that the “Winter Woes” hit.  The challenge of trying to rock the newest thermal fashions in Miami can leave you looking out of place and feeling like a sweaty mess. How do you dress like it’s winter when the temperatures could reach 70 degrees by noon?

Many use this three month window as an opportunity to wear leggings and Uggs all day every day, but there are plenty of options to get your winter fix.  Follow these simple tips to stay trendy, comfortable and weather appropriate all season.

Go light and layered

Opt for winter styles but wear lighter fabrics, such as cotton, linen, and thin silk. Choose blazers rather than heavier coats and short, delicate cardigans instead of larger, heavier sweaters.  Silk blouses are a must-have. They give the appearance of being a winter shirt but are light enough for almost any day and are easy to layer if it gets chilly. Try to wear a seasonally appropriate article of clothing on one half of your body and a summery piece on the other, such as a blazer with a blouse and shorts, or cropped jeans with a light sweater.

Winter colors

Even while wearing light fabrics, you can still achieve the winter “look” with coloring alone.  Choose darker jeans and pants and shirts in muted or pale colors.  Black is a staple right now, so play it up by using it as your base color.  Keep nail polish ebony hued, such as cherry black or charcoal.

Evening attire

The Miami winter nights can get chilly, so make sure to put a leather jacket over a dress, or pair jeans and boots with an elegant chiffon shirt.  Try to avoid open toed heels, since the pressure on your toes makes them get cold quickly.

Footwear

Although you can still get away with sandals or flip flops occasionally, invest in some nice close toed shoes for the winter months.  This creates a pulled-together look that the season calls for.  Rain boots are always good in Miami and are lighter than Uggs.  Opt for combat boots or booties instead of tall boots in order to stay cooler while adapting to the changing climate.

Accessories

Jewelry should be kept simple in the winter, so choose studs and long necklaces, or classic bracelets.  Beanies will always temper any out-of-season outfit, and they protect your hair from the sun.

Lightweight scarves can also be a good addition.

Alexandra DiBacco

Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic has been through more trauma in the ...

The words “Sweet 16” may never have been uttered as the Miami Hurricanes were laying out their prese ...

The mid-major monster nearly mauled the Miami Hurricanes again. But Miami bit back. Miami’s past thr ...

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team will play fifth-seeded Arizona State in a top-2 ...

The Hurricanes made a ninth inning rally, but came up just short to No. 5 NC State, 7-6. ...

Kevin Arreaga of the University of Miami track and field team won the men's hammer throw on Sat ...

The Hurricanes received two key signatures from transfers in December's early signing period. ...

The Hurricanes travel to Chapel Hill, N.C., to battle the 11th-ranked Tar Heels. ...