Blogs, Free Foreign Film Friday

‘Cinema Paradiso’, unassuming masterpiece worth rewatching

Cinema Paradiso
Cinema Paradiso – Italy – Available on DVD at Richter Library and on Netflix instant watch
Subtly, in the way that only an unassuming masterpiece can, “Cinema Paradiso” captures the heartwarming magic and illicit excitement of films in this story about a boy growing up in a small town in Sicily.
Traditional in its use of mechanisms such as flashbacks and symbolism, the film concretizes hope by rustically carving the hero’s journey without pretenses of manipulation.
One toothy smile from the mischievous boy, Toto, is enough to turn over your complete trust to this movie. Director Giuseppe Tornatore manages to unveil the invisible charm hidden in the quotidian with utter sincerity.
The magic is in not overstating the emotions, but rather illustrating them indirectly. Like the white words on the black screen that discreetly but vitally translate the characters’ speech in the silent films, Ennio Morricone’s beloved score speaks where there are no words.
The film’s comforting completeness makes it universal and timeless: as easily enjoyed in the morning as it is before sleeping. If you have seen it, find someone who has not, and if you have not, then rediscover this jewel with someone who has.

Luisa Andonie

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...