Blogs, Free Foreign Film Friday

‘Cinema Paradiso’, unassuming masterpiece worth rewatching

Cinema Paradiso
Cinema Paradiso – Italy – Available on DVD at Richter Library and on Netflix instant watch
Subtly, in the way that only an unassuming masterpiece can, “Cinema Paradiso” captures the heartwarming magic and illicit excitement of films in this story about a boy growing up in a small town in Sicily.
Traditional in its use of mechanisms such as flashbacks and symbolism, the film concretizes hope by rustically carving the hero’s journey without pretenses of manipulation.
One toothy smile from the mischievous boy, Toto, is enough to turn over your complete trust to this movie. Director Giuseppe Tornatore manages to unveil the invisible charm hidden in the quotidian with utter sincerity.
The magic is in not overstating the emotions, but rather illustrating them indirectly. Like the white words on the black screen that discreetly but vitally translate the characters’ speech in the silent films, Ennio Morricone’s beloved score speaks where there are no words.
The film’s comforting completeness makes it universal and timeless: as easily enjoyed in the morning as it is before sleeping. If you have seen it, find someone who has not, and if you have not, then rediscover this jewel with someone who has.

Luisa Andonie

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...