Christie’s foul play calls leadership into question

Traffic jams are a hassle no matter what the cause. But when a traffic jam is deliberately staged for political gain, far bigger issues arise.

Recently surfaced emails among New Jersey governor Chris Christie’s staff indicate that the Sept. 9  lane closures on the George Washington Bridge suggest foul play. There is now suspicion that the traffic may have been created to retaliate against Fort Lee mayor Mark Sokolich, who did not endorse Christie in his re-election bid in November. Last week, the federal government issued 20 subpoenas to individuals and organizations implicated in the scandal – requiring them to submit relevant documents by Wednesday or face severe legal penalties.

Christie claims he is a centrist Republican who can work across the aisle to produce compromise. But having subordinates run wild, orchestrating politically motivated revenge against members of another political party, should shed doubt on this promise.

This story first made headlines when incriminating emails surfaced in early January. Christie’s aide, Bridget Anne Kelly, emailed bridge manager David Wildstein to order the closures. Christie had hired Kelly in 2010 and was promoted to a prominent administration position in 2013.

A good friend of Christie, Wildstein received his job through Christie’s patronage. Kelly’s email stated, “Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee.” Wildstein’s reply was, “Got it.”

Christie has expressed deep regret and shock over the bridge closures. However, his apology seems out of place. In a December press conference before the scandal broke, Christie sarcastically stated, “I worked the cones, actually. Unbeknownst to everybody, I was actually the guy out there.”

This statement suggests little sympathy or care for the problems created by the bridge closure. Christie has now retracted that statement, claiming he didn’t know that his administration had actually ordered the closures.

This incident seems part of a larger trend of bullying practiced by the Christie administration. After sacking his aide Kelly, Christie said in a press conference, “I am not a bully” – a statement that should fall on deaf ears.

If Christie hopes to move beyond his post in New Jersey and run for president, he will need to present a respectable image to the majority of Americans.

Many students will be voting in the election come 2016. When selecting a new leader for the country, it is imperative that this choice be made in the context of a candidate’s prior decisions. A governor who engages in minor political squabbles cannot make a good case to the American people about his ability to lead the nation.

David Silverman is a freshman majoring in economics.

David Silverman

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...