Administration, News

Dean wins award for chemistry research

Leonidas Bachas, the dean for the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS), won Lab of the Year for his chemistry research lab on Friday.

The award was given out by the Office of Environmental Health and Safety. Environmental Health recognizes one lab each year in one of the university’s three campuses. There are more than 1,000 research labs across the Gables campus, the Miller School of Medicine and RSMAS.

“The Bachas Lab was selected for exceptional cooperation and compliance with local, State and Federal regulations regarding laboratory safety,” said Jairo Betancourt, Biosafety Manager for the UM Office of Environmental Health and Safety in a CAS press release.

Betancourt noticed the lab’s long history of excellent reviews. Environmental Health strives to improve the standard of health, safety and environmental regulations.

The office also provides training and support to avoid biological, chemical and occupational hazards.

Bachas’ lab focuses on the use of nanoparticles to break down environmental contaminate. Graduate students Jeramy Baum, Ed Miller, Elsayed Zahran and Megan Gillespie are part of the lab, too.

“I am honored to share this award with an exceptional team who works hard every day to ensure the lab environment meets the highest standards of safety,” Bachas said in a CAS press release.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic has been through more trauma in the ...

The words “Sweet 16” may never have been uttered as the Miami Hurricanes were laying out their prese ...

The mid-major monster nearly mauled the Miami Hurricanes again. But Miami bit back. Miami’s past thr ...

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team will play fifth-seeded Arizona State in a top-2 ...

The Hurricanes made a ninth inning rally, but came up just short to No. 5 NC State, 7-6. ...

Kevin Arreaga of the University of Miami track and field team won the men's hammer throw on Sat ...

The Hurricanes received two key signatures from transfers in December's early signing period. ...

The Hurricanes travel to Chapel Hill, N.C., to battle the 11th-ranked Tar Heels. ...