Administration, News

Dean wins award for chemistry research

Leonidas Bachas, the dean for the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS), won Lab of the Year for his chemistry research lab on Friday.

The award was given out by the Office of Environmental Health and Safety. Environmental Health recognizes one lab each year in one of the university’s three campuses. There are more than 1,000 research labs across the Gables campus, the Miller School of Medicine and RSMAS.

“The Bachas Lab was selected for exceptional cooperation and compliance with local, State and Federal regulations regarding laboratory safety,” said Jairo Betancourt, Biosafety Manager for the UM Office of Environmental Health and Safety in a CAS press release.

Betancourt noticed the lab’s long history of excellent reviews. Environmental Health strives to improve the standard of health, safety and environmental regulations.

The office also provides training and support to avoid biological, chemical and occupational hazards.

Bachas’ lab focuses on the use of nanoparticles to break down environmental contaminate. Graduate students Jeramy Baum, Ed Miller, Elsayed Zahran and Megan Gillespie are part of the lab, too.

“I am honored to share this award with an exceptional team who works hard every day to ensure the lab environment meets the highest standards of safety,” Bachas said in a CAS press release.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...