Sports Briefs 01/27

Women’s tennis

Miami used a 4-0 sweep over LSU on Saturday to secure a place in the ITA National Indoor Championships.

Monique Albuquerque and Clementina Riobueno pulled out a crucial doubles point. The duo was behind early but came back to win in a tiebreak 7-6 (3).

Albuquerque followed up that victory with a strong singles outing, defeating LSU’s Abigail Owens 6-3, 6-3.

“I was real happy with the girls in terms of being unselfish in doubles, especially when it came down to the wire,” coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “Nobody was rushing to try and get off the court.”

Melissa Bolivar won an important singles match over Skylar Holloway, 6-3, 6-1. While the Hurricanes were ahead in three other matches at the time, Bolivar proved to be the deciding point after Miami grabbed both doubles points.

Miami will face Florida Gulf Coast at 4 p.m. Thursday before the Canes turn their attention to the ITA Championships. They will head to Charlottesville, Va., for the national tournament Feb. 7-10.

Track & Field

The Hurricanes track and field program traveled to Lexington, Ky., for the Rod McCravy Memorial Meet this past weekend.

Alyssa McClure and Phillip Dorsett were among several athletes to place high in their individual events. Each earned top-10 finishes in the 60m race. Amber Monroe placed fourth in women’s shot put and Alexis Wright came in ninth in the women’s triple jump.

“A very solid performance for us this weekend,” track director Amy Deem said. “We had an opportunity to compete against some of the best teams in the country and our kids showed they belong.”

Oregon, Kentucky, Florida and Baylor were among the elite schools represented at the meet.

Taneisha Cordell set a school record for Miami in the 600-yard run during the first day of competition. Alysha Newman won the women’s pole vault at 4.31m, a school and meet record.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

At 9:17 p.m. Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz, who these days doubles as a Hur ...

With just 14 more shopping days before National Signing Day, here’s where the Hurricanes stand with ...

Manny Diaz’s coaching staff for the Miami Hurricanes is finally set. Less than three weeks after he ...

There’s at least a chance this might not be the final season watching a Wade perform on a large Sout ...

The one major hole missing on Manny Diaz’s staff until Friday was the lockdown ace recruiter. The ne ...

A large area of low pressure and arctic air swirling above the North Pole fractured and split into t ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Daevenia Achong of the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team reeled in a pair of ACC accolades, as a ...

University of Miami sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera, ranked No. 21 on the Oracle/ITA singles list, g ...

Following a one-week absence, the Miami women's basketball team reentered the top 25 of the USA ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...