Sports Briefs 01/27

Women’s tennis

Miami used a 4-0 sweep over LSU on Saturday to secure a place in the ITA National Indoor Championships.

Monique Albuquerque and Clementina Riobueno pulled out a crucial doubles point. The duo was behind early but came back to win in a tiebreak 7-6 (3).

Albuquerque followed up that victory with a strong singles outing, defeating LSU’s Abigail Owens 6-3, 6-3.

“I was real happy with the girls in terms of being unselfish in doubles, especially when it came down to the wire,” coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “Nobody was rushing to try and get off the court.”

Melissa Bolivar won an important singles match over Skylar Holloway, 6-3, 6-1. While the Hurricanes were ahead in three other matches at the time, Bolivar proved to be the deciding point after Miami grabbed both doubles points.

Miami will face Florida Gulf Coast at 4 p.m. Thursday before the Canes turn their attention to the ITA Championships. They will head to Charlottesville, Va., for the national tournament Feb. 7-10.

Track & Field

The Hurricanes track and field program traveled to Lexington, Ky., for the Rod McCravy Memorial Meet this past weekend.

Alyssa McClure and Phillip Dorsett were among several athletes to place high in their individual events. Each earned top-10 finishes in the 60m race. Amber Monroe placed fourth in women’s shot put and Alexis Wright came in ninth in the women’s triple jump.

“A very solid performance for us this weekend,” track director Amy Deem said. “We had an opportunity to compete against some of the best teams in the country and our kids showed they belong.”

Oregon, Kentucky, Florida and Baylor were among the elite schools represented at the meet.

Taneisha Cordell set a school record for Miami in the 600-yard run during the first day of competition. Alysha Newman won the women’s pole vault at 4.31m, a school and meet record.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...