Toppel Career Center relocates to former Writing Center

“Don’t call it a comeback” is the motto that the Toppel Career Center has adopted to define its new location.

The 12,000-foot space is located next to Henry S. West Laboratory School, behind the Pavia Garage.

The two-story building was opened on Jan. 13. It holds six interview labs equipped with cameras and microphones so students and employers can hold interviews or make video conference calls.

Formerly a chapel, the two-story building allows for more interview and meeting rooms, advising offices and even a computer lab with a fireplace.

“The area will allow us to do more programming,” said Christian Garcia, director of Toppel. “There is more flexible space and we can accommodate other things at the same time.”

Toppel Ambassador Michaela Gabaldon claims that even though the location is not centralized on campus as it was before, “the few extra steps outweigh the benefits of what the new building has to offer.”

Ambassadors help raise awareness about upcoming career fairs and events. There are a total of 40 ambassadors but with the expansion of offices and space, the center hopes to hire about 20 more students.

The center hosted a block party on Wednesday for students to become familiarized with the new location.

Rock climbing, food, music and giveaways greeted students as they took tours of the new building and learned about the services that Toppel provides.

“It’s a vast improvement to how it was before,” junior Kathryn Collins said.

Freshman Maka Raffipiy believed it was “a lot nicer than I thought it would be.”

Matt Barnes, assistant director of Orientation and Commuter Involvement, claimed the new space would be “better for the campus culture.”

Junior Danny Acosta expressed similar sentiments.

“It is a great idea that there are new buildings such as the Student Activities Center, and now Toppel,” he said.

Due to the renovations still taking place, the building will officially open at noon on Feb. 7.

Alina Zerpa

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...