Committee to address football busing concerns

Students and faculty have come together to organize a task force charged with improving student bus transportation and ticketing for Sun Life Stadium.

Under the leadership of Vice President for Student Affairs Patricia Whitely, this committee will address some of the issues that the system has been faced with in recent years.

“The original mission [of the busing system]is to take the students to the game and take them back,” Whitely said. “And while we’re doing that, we’re taking students home at a much higher percentage that the students who go [to Sun Life Stadium]on the buses.”

Whitely mentioned that for popular games like the one against the University of Florida, students are more likely to use the buses returning to campus than the ones going to the game. For that game, there were 65 university buses that arrived at the stadium and 120 only transporting students back to campus.

“I want to relook at our entire system and look at how we’re running it,” Whitely said. “I also want to address some of the ticket issues. For some of the games there has been a ‘no-show’ factor for students.”

The task force also hopes to tackle behavioral problems on the buses.

Of the 21 members of  the task force, nine are students. Whitely said that she looked at different constituencies that would form a diverse committee.

In order to implement the policies the task force hopes to execute, students that have been appointed to the committee are asked to agree to participate by April. If they are unable or unwilling to participate, they are asked to recommend someone to take their place.

Robby Chiste, treasurer of Student Government, is one of the students that have been asked to join.

“I think there’s an excellent group of people meeting with a wide mix of viewpoints from which they have seen the system both work efficiently and struggle at times,” Chiste said.

With the task force’s first meeting coming up next week, Whitely looks forward to what the committee has to offer.

“I want to see what they think about what’s going on and the concerns over the disparity and what they think we should do about it and be more effective in running the program,” she said.

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...