Photoshop culture requires touching up

Snap a selfie and you might add a filter before posting it. Hold a magazine shoot, and you’ll need to brighten up the image, or maybe clear up some blemishes. But it rarely ends there. The practice of retouching has become commonplace, despite increasing objections to the unrealistic beauty standards that come with it.

But criticism can cross a line. The feminist website Jezebel has come under fire for paying  $10,000 for unretouched photos of “Girls” star Lena Dunham, from Vogue’s February issue.

Dunham is known for her comfort with revealing her body on screen, and is quite the feminist icon herself. Jezebel posted the leaked photos on its website Friday, calling attention to all of the Photoshopped alterations. The result seemed to shame the actress for allowing Vogue to photoshop her, despite Dunham going on the record as being happy with Vogue.

Photoshop is warranted in moderation, but its magical properties are often taken too far. That is why efforts to emphasize real beauty are worthy of attention. But there is a right way to go about it, and Jezebel missed the mark.

Their underhanded move comes off as more of an abuse of Jezebel’s power than a step forward. Dunham chose to be photographed, and the public rejoiced over Vogue’s decision to deviate from its norm with a different look on cover. Everything was fine until Jezebel crashed the party.

There’s a difference between brightening a photo and trimming six inches off a model’s waist. While there’s no denying that magazines take photoshopping to the extreme – influencing young teens to download photo editing apps and partake in this culture – but neither Vogue nor Dunham went overboard in this case. Their collaboration should be celebrated.

There are good examples of how to promote real beauty and create positive awareness about photo doctoring. American Eagle’s lingerie line Aerie announced Friday that it will only feature un-retouched models in its spring ad campaign, Aerie Real. It’s a bold move, and a beautiful one.

Also this week, a music video by Hungarian music artist Boggie released in December went viral because it reveals her transformation on Photoshop as she sings. The young singer is airbrushed into an entirely different girl, showing how drastic changes can be made with simple editing tools.

Until we can touch up the Photoshop culture entirely, let’s allow encouraging messages to come from the companies or celebrities themselves.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...