Campus Life, Community, News

“Tipping Point” author Malcolm Gladwell to speak at UM Feb. 11

Five-time New York Times bestselling author Malcolm Gladwell will be speaking at the University of Miami at 7 p.m. on Feb. 11.

Gladwell will be talking about his latest book, “David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits and the Art of Battling Giants.” In this work, Gladwell looks into what happens when people confront “giants” in the form of powerful opponents, armies and mighty warriors as well as disability, misfortune and oppression. He seeks to show how the general population fundamentally misunderstands the meaning of advantages and disadvantages.

Gladwell is also the author of “The Tipping Point,” “Blink,” “Outliers” and “What the Dog Saw.” He aims to sift through research and academic work in sociology, psychology and social psychology to draw unexpected implications and challenge how people think.

He was named one of the 100 most influential people by Time magazine in 2005 and one of the Foreign Policy’s Top Global Thinkers in 2009. Gladwell has also worked as a staff writer at The New Yorker since 1996.

This is a Books and Books event and will take place in the UM Student Activities Center third floor ballrooms.

For more information on Gladwell, visit gladwell.com.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...