Blogs, Free Foreign Film Friday

“Last Night” probes with questions about infidelity

As simple as a storyline could ever be, “Last Night” is, for the same reason, an insightful portrait of the delicate line between loyalty and infidelity.

With four stars of varying ethnicity, the film has a decidedly foreign feel. With Keira Knightley’s British self-composure, Sam Worthington’s Australian non-nonchalance, Guillaume Canet’s French flare, and Eva Mendes’s Miami hotness, the cast is perfect.

Like a theatrical piece, it strategically (over)considers every detail. The screenplay is crafty and rarely explicit, pairing well with the artsy flare of the cinematography that flaunts a quick succession of cuts. With its intense imitation of reality, it makes the viewer accomplice to the temptation the characters experience.

In particular, it taunts the viewer with a few questions, so make sure you watch it with someone to have a discussion with after the credits start scrolling aggravatingly soon:

• Can accusing someone of infidelity actually plant the temptation to cheat?
  • Does “when” a relationship starts matter, even years later?
  • Is cheating with your heart more unforgivable than cheating with your body?

Luisa Andonie

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...