Blogs, Free Foreign Film Friday

“Last Night” probes with questions about infidelity

As simple as a storyline could ever be, “Last Night” is, for the same reason, an insightful portrait of the delicate line between loyalty and infidelity.

With four stars of varying ethnicity, the film has a decidedly foreign feel. With Keira Knightley’s British self-composure, Sam Worthington’s Australian non-nonchalance, Guillaume Canet’s French flare, and Eva Mendes’s Miami hotness, the cast is perfect.

Like a theatrical piece, it strategically (over)considers every detail. The screenplay is crafty and rarely explicit, pairing well with the artsy flare of the cinematography that flaunts a quick succession of cuts. With its intense imitation of reality, it makes the viewer accomplice to the temptation the characters experience.

In particular, it taunts the viewer with a few questions, so make sure you watch it with someone to have a discussion with after the credits start scrolling aggravatingly soon:

• Can accusing someone of infidelity actually plant the temptation to cheat?
  • Does “when” a relationship starts matter, even years later?
  • Is cheating with your heart more unforgivable than cheating with your body?

Luisa Andonie

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...