Hillary Clinton to speak on campus next month

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will be visiting the University of Miami campus on Feb. 26.

Clinton, who is the likely Democratic Party candidate for the 2016 presidential election, served as the 67th U.S. Secretary of State from 2009 to 2013. Most recently, Barbara Walters named Clinton “the Most Fascinating Person of 2013.” On the show, which aired for the first time in 2013, Clinton said she would decide whether she would run for president again “sometime next year.”

Prior to that, she served as first lady to the U.S. and as senator of New York. In 2008, she ran for president of the United States but failed to win the nomination of the Democratic Party.

The event will take place at the BankUnited Center at 8:30 p.m. More details about her visit, including the topic of her remarks, will be disclosed as the date approaches. The event is for the UM community, and ticket information will be available at miami.edu/clintonvisit.

Clinton’s visit next month will mark her third appearance to campus in the last six and half years. She first came  on Sept. 9, 2007, as part of the Democratic Presidential Candidates Forum. Then she visited as a presidential candidate on May 21, 2008.

UM President Donna E. Shalala, who served as the Secretary for Health and Human Services under former President Bill Clinton for eight years, expressed her sentiments about the upcoming visit.

“I’m delighted our students will have the chance to listen to and learn from one of America’s most inspirational leaders and role models,” she said.