News, Science and Technology

UMiami application receives new features, makeover

The UMiami Mobile App, the official cellphone application of the University of Miami, will introduce new changes this semester, including building maps and a UPrint update.

Changes will include a new design of the dining and bookstore icons, an expansion of the directory to include the e-mails of faculty and staff, and an update to the maps module to offer specific information about what is inside each building.

UPrint will also be incorporated so students can print from their phones.

After the app’s initial release in the fall of 2011, the offices of Alumni Relations and University Communications will update the free app by the end of the first quarter of the semester to include new icons and modules.

The app is available for all smart phones, but the updates for iPhone and Android will not occur for Blackberry, due to the fact that it is only 2 percent of the app’s market. There were only about 2,000 downloads for Blackberry, compared to Android’s 10,779 and iPhone’s 27,553 in 2013 alone.

The app is known for its Emergency module because it is “unique to us,” according to Director of Online Communications Wendy Chun. The module includes “Specific Action Guidelines” that gives instructions in case there is any dangerous activity, such as a hurricane or an explosion.

“We plan on including the addresses of specific buildings, such as the Ungar Building, in case of any emergency,” Chun said. “The module also relies on internet availability but we are trying to make it independent in case the emergency is occurring where there is no Wi-Fi.”

Chun says UMiami is geared toward alumni and students alike, and the goal is to make it useful so that everybody can use it.

New students are encouraged to download the app, especially during orientation, to familiarize themselves with the resources the university has available.

“We tell the students about the app and highly encourage them to download it,” said Orientation Leader Alicia Santana. “There are bar codes on all the pamphlets, brochures, and even on the signs in the Student Activities Center.”

However, students use the app for different reasons.

“I mostly used it during football season to see the schedule,” sophomore Alessia Lavin said.

Freshman William Singer used the app mostly for the Maps module to navigate the first days of school.

“The Shuttle module was definitely the most useful part of the app that I used,” he said.

Alina Zerpa

Day Two of spring practice began at about 9 a.m. or thereafter on Wednesday at the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Prosecutors have released video that shows ex-University of Miami star running back Mark Walton snat ...

The word “swag” was mentioned multiple times Tuesday at the inaugural Miami Hurricanes spring practi ...

How did Tate Martell’s Phoenix-based attorney, Travis Leach, convince the NCAA to permit Martell to ...

After a quick courtship, Daran Branch is the newest member of the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020. A ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

The University of Miami's Raheem Chambers was named the ACC Men's Outdoor Track Performer ...

Hear from the Hurricanes as they opened up day one of spring football inside the IPF. ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

Miami rises 13 spots to No. 23 nationally. ...