Health, News

Student Health Service contributes to digital health magazine

The Student Health Service is experimenting with a digital health magazine as a preventative measure.

The University of Miami is subscribed to a national, online magazine called Student Health 101 (SH101). The magazine features six pages of original content specific to UM. The other 15 pages are the same for all subscribers.

“The health and wellness of the campus community was our primary consideration in acquiring and creating content for SH101,” said Adam Troy, health educator for the Student Health Service.

Students who work as health outreach peer educators (HOPE) create and develop content for SH101. Campus services such as the Student Health Service, Wellness Center and Counseling Center also contribute.

As health educator for the Student Health Service, Troy attempts to prevent health problems at the individual and population levels. He started his position last semester and made flu outreach, safe sex, HIV and other STD testing among his goals.

“The specific purpose of health promotion in higher education is to support student success,” he said.

SH101 is emailed to students and the university community once a month. Each issue is focused on a specific topic. December’s issue included articles about safer sex, since Dec. 1 is World AIDS Day.

The magazine also covers broader topics that may not relate to health such as finding internships. Troy describes SH101 as a “supplementary component” to the services offered at the Student Health Service, Wellness Center, Counseling Center, Dean of Students office and other student organizations.

Health peer educators Madelyn Elia, Matt Graca and Elizabeth Guirado collaborated to create a video for the December edition. The group shot a video explaining the general topics that the magazine covers such as fitness and nutrition.

“It was really fun to do,” Elia said. “I was doing handstands in the library and yoga between the book stacks.”

HOPE will begin to meet regularly this semester and encourage members to submit articles for the publication, according to Elia, a human and social development major.

“It’s written by students, revised by students, and for students,” she said. “It’s a cycle of beneficial knowledge that’s out there.”

Ansh Grover, the president of the UM chapter of United Against Infectious Diseases, believes in the outreach through publications like SH101.

“The key to public health is awareness and education,” he said. “I think that a magazine like this can make initiatives that nonprofits like UAID head up much more effective on campus.”

UAID aims to tackle more than infectious diseases. The organization focuses on public health awareness initiatives like free HIV testing on campus and in the community and promoting health literacy.

According to Troy, anyone is welcome to submit material to the magazine by emailing the Student Health Service at healthed@miami.edu. Content must be submitted by the 10th day of the month to be included in the next issue. To see the latest issue of SH101, visit readsh101.com/miami.html.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...