Sports briefs 1/16

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

The Hurricanes are on the road to face Boston College at 7 p.m. Thursday. Miami is coming off its second ACC win of the season, a 64-62 victory over Virginia Tech.

After Thursday’s matchup with the Eagles, the Canes will return home as their conference schedule continues against N.C. State at the BankUnited Center. Tipoff for that game is set for 2 p.m. Sunday.

Miami has been paced so far this year by leading scorer Caprice Dennis, a sophomore who is averaging 13.8 points per game.

PUNTER HONORED

All-ACC punter Pat O’Donnell has won the College Football Performance Awards 2013 Punter Trophy, announced Monday.

O’Donnell set a single-season record for the Hurricanes with a 47.1-yard punt average. He landed 19 of his 53 punts inside the 20-yard line, and recorded 23 punts of 50-plus yards.

O’Donnell and linebacker Denzel Perryman were Miami’s only two players named first-team All-ACC. He will be honored for his Performance Award during halftime of the men’s basketball game against Duke next Wednesday.

Former receiver Leonard Hankerson is the only other Hurricane to win a College Football Performance Award, which he claimed in 2010.

The awards are given based on calculations that determine a player’s effectiveness and how much value he adds to his team.

NCAA UPDATE

Miami hoped it could lighten the NCAA’s scholarship reductions for the Hurricanes football team, based on the merit of UM’s previous self-imposed penalties.

However, a CBS Sports report on Wednesday revealed that the NCAA will not back off the nine total scholarships it docked Miami through the next three seasons.

A full team roster comprises 85 scholarship athletes per year, while Miami will now have to stick with 82 per year.

The Hurricanes reportedly used only 76 of their 85 alloted scholarships in 2013, attempting to prove their compliance with the NCAA investigation and soften the punishment UM received in October.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...