Sports briefs 1/16

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

The Hurricanes are on the road to face Boston College at 7 p.m. Thursday. Miami is coming off its second ACC win of the season, a 64-62 victory over Virginia Tech.

After Thursday’s matchup with the Eagles, the Canes will return home as their conference schedule continues against N.C. State at the BankUnited Center. Tipoff for that game is set for 2 p.m. Sunday.

Miami has been paced so far this year by leading scorer Caprice Dennis, a sophomore who is averaging 13.8 points per game.

PUNTER HONORED

All-ACC punter Pat O’Donnell has won the College Football Performance Awards 2013 Punter Trophy, announced Monday.

O’Donnell set a single-season record for the Hurricanes with a 47.1-yard punt average. He landed 19 of his 53 punts inside the 20-yard line, and recorded 23 punts of 50-plus yards.

O’Donnell and linebacker Denzel Perryman were Miami’s only two players named first-team All-ACC. He will be honored for his Performance Award during halftime of the men’s basketball game against Duke next Wednesday.

Former receiver Leonard Hankerson is the only other Hurricane to win a College Football Performance Award, which he claimed in 2010.

The awards are given based on calculations that determine a player’s effectiveness and how much value he adds to his team.

NCAA UPDATE

Miami hoped it could lighten the NCAA’s scholarship reductions for the Hurricanes football team, based on the merit of UM’s previous self-imposed penalties.

However, a CBS Sports report on Wednesday revealed that the NCAA will not back off the nine total scholarships it docked Miami through the next three seasons.

A full team roster comprises 85 scholarship athletes per year, while Miami will now have to stick with 82 per year.

The Hurricanes reportedly used only 76 of their 85 alloted scholarships in 2013, attempting to prove their compliance with the NCAA investigation and soften the punishment UM received in October.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...