Sports, Tennis

No. 9 Miami women to host invitational

Senior Gabriel Flores prepares to return the ball during the men's tennis match against Florida Atlantic held last Sunday. Nick Gangemi // Assistant Photo Editor

Senior Gabriel Flores prepares to return the ball during the men’s tennis match against Florida Atlantic held last Sunday. Nick Gangemi // Assistant Photo Editor

After a long fall of training and tournaments, the UM men’s and women’s tennis teams are back in full swing.

The men’s team stormed into the season with a rousing 7-0 match win over the Florida Atlantic Owls this past Sunday. Every player starred, from veterans Diego Soto and Gabriel Flores to freshman Miami native Bernard Tefel.

Tefel, the 16th-ranked Florida recruit, defeated Harrison Heysek in straight sets (6-2, 6-0.)

One aspect the Canes have improved so far is their doubles game, in which they swept all three matches.

Sophomore William Albanese said this was a major focus in their offseason training.

“One of the biggest points the coaches focused on last fall was the improvement of our doubles,” Albanese said. “Last season we failed to win doubles points and when we looked back on the season we all saw how that could’ve dramatically changed our record.”

Albanese won both his singles (6-2, 6-3) and doubles matches (with partner Henrique Tsukamoto, 6-1) against FAU.

The Miami men travel to Orlando to take on last year’s Conference USA runners-up, the UCF Knights, Sunday at noon.

Albanese added that while the dominating win over the Owls built confidence, “the seniors have really been stressing to stay focused on the next match in front of us and nothing beyond that.”

“You can’t get too high after a win or too low after a loss,” he said.

Meanwhile, the No. 9 Lady Canes are looking to build off a tremendous 2013 season, one that saw them advance through the NCAA Tournament all the way to the Elite Eight.

Miami traveled to Urbana, Ill., but was eliminated by Texas A&M. Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews returns all of her players from last season, including 52nd-ranked sophomore Stephanie Wagner.

Wagner had an impressive fall; she reached the quarterfinals of the ITA Women’s Regionals in Athens, Ga. Yaroshuk-Tews has already noticed a big difference from her freshman year.

“Stephy definitely is in a better place – more mature, more emotionally sound going into this season than she was going into last season,” she said.

This coming weekend, Miami welcomes Texas, Vanderbilt and Memphis for the annual Miami Spring Invite, held each January at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Miami narrowly won the weekend event last year with 87 points over Vanderbilt (86), Texas (85) and Texas A&M (81). Vanderbilt comes into the Invite ranked 16th and Texas is 17th.

“Texas, coming in with Breaunna Addison, they’re going to be a tough team,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “It’s going to be a great opportunity for whoever plays her in the top of the lineup. [These are] all good teams, all teams that we could see deep in the Tournament.”

Yaroshuk-Tews expects a weekend of “amazing tennis.”

“I can promise whoever comes out here anywhere from 9 until 3 o’clock Friday, Saturday, Sunday that they’re going to be pretty impressed with the level of tennis, with the excitement of tennis, with the competition that’s going to be taking place on these courts,” she said.

Neil Dwyer

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...

The Canes head to the ACC Baseball Championship ranked in the top 20 in every major poll. ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team will once again represent her country ...