Sports, Tennis

No. 9 Miami women to host invitational

Senior Gabriel Flores prepares to return the ball during the men's tennis match against Florida Atlantic held last Sunday. Nick Gangemi // Assistant Photo Editor

Senior Gabriel Flores prepares to return the ball during the men’s tennis match against Florida Atlantic held last Sunday. Nick Gangemi // Assistant Photo Editor

After a long fall of training and tournaments, the UM men’s and women’s tennis teams are back in full swing.

The men’s team stormed into the season with a rousing 7-0 match win over the Florida Atlantic Owls this past Sunday. Every player starred, from veterans Diego Soto and Gabriel Flores to freshman Miami native Bernard Tefel.

Tefel, the 16th-ranked Florida recruit, defeated Harrison Heysek in straight sets (6-2, 6-0.)

One aspect the Canes have improved so far is their doubles game, in which they swept all three matches.

Sophomore William Albanese said this was a major focus in their offseason training.

“One of the biggest points the coaches focused on last fall was the improvement of our doubles,” Albanese said. “Last season we failed to win doubles points and when we looked back on the season we all saw how that could’ve dramatically changed our record.”

Albanese won both his singles (6-2, 6-3) and doubles matches (with partner Henrique Tsukamoto, 6-1) against FAU.

The Miami men travel to Orlando to take on last year’s Conference USA runners-up, the UCF Knights, Sunday at noon.

Albanese added that while the dominating win over the Owls built confidence, “the seniors have really been stressing to stay focused on the next match in front of us and nothing beyond that.”

“You can’t get too high after a win or too low after a loss,” he said.

Meanwhile, the No. 9 Lady Canes are looking to build off a tremendous 2013 season, one that saw them advance through the NCAA Tournament all the way to the Elite Eight.

Miami traveled to Urbana, Ill., but was eliminated by Texas A&M. Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews returns all of her players from last season, including 52nd-ranked sophomore Stephanie Wagner.

Wagner had an impressive fall; she reached the quarterfinals of the ITA Women’s Regionals in Athens, Ga. Yaroshuk-Tews has already noticed a big difference from her freshman year.

“Stephy definitely is in a better place – more mature, more emotionally sound going into this season than she was going into last season,” she said.

This coming weekend, Miami welcomes Texas, Vanderbilt and Memphis for the annual Miami Spring Invite, held each January at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Miami narrowly won the weekend event last year with 87 points over Vanderbilt (86), Texas (85) and Texas A&M (81). Vanderbilt comes into the Invite ranked 16th and Texas is 17th.

“Texas, coming in with Breaunna Addison, they’re going to be a tough team,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “It’s going to be a great opportunity for whoever plays her in the top of the lineup. [These are] all good teams, all teams that we could see deep in the Tournament.”

Yaroshuk-Tews expects a weekend of “amazing tennis.”

“I can promise whoever comes out here anywhere from 9 until 3 o’clock Friday, Saturday, Sunday that they’re going to be pretty impressed with the level of tennis, with the excitement of tennis, with the competition that’s going to be taking place on these courts,” she said.

Neil Dwyer

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...