News Briefs 1/16

Spring Kickoff

Student Government and Canes Night Live will host Canes After Dark 8 p.m. on Friday at the Student Activities Center patio and along Miller Drive. Entertainment will include free food, fried Oreos, caricature drawings, henna tattoos, food trucks and live music.

Arts Festival

The 63rd annual Beaux Arts Festival of Art will take place on campus Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The festival will feature more than 220 art exhibitors, live music and dining options. Admission and parking are free and open to the public.

Quantum Auditions

Quantum will host auditions for its production of “Avenue Q” from 1 to 6 p.m. on Saturday in the University Center Flamingo Ballroom D.  Those interested in auditioning are asked to prepare a one-minute contemporary monologue and 16 bars of a modern musical theatre song.

Service Day

The Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service 2014 will take place on Monday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Volunteers will work alongside community members to transform Homestead Middle School in the City of Homestead. Service projects include painting murals, planting gardens, landscaping and building benches. For more information, visit the Butler Center for Service and Leadership in the Student Activities Center (SAC 204).

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at news@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...