News Briefs 1/16

Spring Kickoff

Student Government and Canes Night Live will host Canes After Dark 8 p.m. on Friday at the Student Activities Center patio and along Miller Drive. Entertainment will include free food, fried Oreos, caricature drawings, henna tattoos, food trucks and live music.

Arts Festival

The 63rd annual Beaux Arts Festival of Art will take place on campus Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The festival will feature more than 220 art exhibitors, live music and dining options. Admission and parking are free and open to the public.

Quantum Auditions

Quantum will host auditions for its production of “Avenue Q” from 1 to 6 p.m. on Saturday in the University Center Flamingo Ballroom D.  Those interested in auditioning are asked to prepare a one-minute contemporary monologue and 16 bars of a modern musical theatre song.

Service Day

The Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service 2014 will take place on Monday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Volunteers will work alongside community members to transform Homestead Middle School in the City of Homestead. Service projects include painting murals, planting gardens, landscaping and building benches. For more information, visit the Butler Center for Service and Leadership in the Student Activities Center (SAC 204).

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at news@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...