Get friendly with Greeks

Sorority Facebook statuses have clogged your newsfeed every January since you’ve been at the University of Miami. Some of them may even have been yours. There’s the constant slew of girls obsessing over the new pledge class and new sisterhood, announcing how much they love their sisters and little or big.

Being in a Greek organization, I can see how non-Greeks can have a problem with our on-campus presence. The stigma of obsessing over partying and Starbucks, the cult-like atmosphere and the assumption that we see ourselves as better than other students can be obnoxious. On the other hand, Greeks are plenty sick of explaining the powerful friendships and successful philanthropic efforts that come out of it.

This has always bothered me, as my non-Greek friends have remained the same since joining my sorority. A person’s choice of organization should never dictate their relationships.

Going Greek has made my college experience that much better, but I will also never forget the friends that I made during orientation my freshman year. These friends may not have gone Greek, but the beauty of that is how little of a difference it makes.

Sure, I was slightly delusional and difficult to deal with over the past week of girl flirting that is recruitment, but my non-Greek roommates have accepted that this is what I love and have supported me through it. Although they may laugh at my chants and make fun of my obsession with my little, my roommates are the girls who have fed me and brought me candy at the end of those long days.

There are plenty of differences between Greeks and non-Greeks. However, the differences are infinitesimal. If you choose to ignore the negative attitude presented by the other side, you can understand that a Greek organization is nothing more than that—an organization. It is like any other club that anyone else is a part of.

So whether you’re Greek or not, don’t let it cloud your judgment or choice of friends. We’re all still Miami Hurricanes. We all attend the best school in Florida. We should put our prejudices and excuses aside and work toward bettering our already fantastic alma mater.

Alexa Pappas is a junior majoring in journalism.

Alexa Pappas

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...