Get friendly with Greeks

Sorority Facebook statuses have clogged your newsfeed every January since you’ve been at the University of Miami. Some of them may even have been yours. There’s the constant slew of girls obsessing over the new pledge class and new sisterhood, announcing how much they love their sisters and little or big.

Being in a Greek organization, I can see how non-Greeks can have a problem with our on-campus presence. The stigma of obsessing over partying and Starbucks, the cult-like atmosphere and the assumption that we see ourselves as better than other students can be obnoxious. On the other hand, Greeks are plenty sick of explaining the powerful friendships and successful philanthropic efforts that come out of it.

This has always bothered me, as my non-Greek friends have remained the same since joining my sorority. A person’s choice of organization should never dictate their relationships.

Going Greek has made my college experience that much better, but I will also never forget the friends that I made during orientation my freshman year. These friends may not have gone Greek, but the beauty of that is how little of a difference it makes.

Sure, I was slightly delusional and difficult to deal with over the past week of girl flirting that is recruitment, but my non-Greek roommates have accepted that this is what I love and have supported me through it. Although they may laugh at my chants and make fun of my obsession with my little, my roommates are the girls who have fed me and brought me candy at the end of those long days.

There are plenty of differences between Greeks and non-Greeks. However, the differences are infinitesimal. If you choose to ignore the negative attitude presented by the other side, you can understand that a Greek organization is nothing more than that—an organization. It is like any other club that anyone else is a part of.

So whether you’re Greek or not, don’t let it cloud your judgment or choice of friends. We’re all still Miami Hurricanes. We all attend the best school in Florida. We should put our prejudices and excuses aside and work toward bettering our already fantastic alma mater.

Alexa Pappas is a junior majoring in journalism.

Alexa Pappas

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...