Drop the fear of challenges

New classes are beginning, and everyone is trying to make their schedules as bearable as possible. Be prepared when that 100-level science class you selected to fulfill your science requirement ends up being 5th grade all over again –without the fun of baking soda volcanoes.

Save yourself the drool and backpack prints on your face and seek out a challenge instead. Don’t be so quick to run away when a professor warns students that not many will receive an ‘A,’ or that the workload will be particularly heavy, or that by the end of the semester everyone who chooses to stay will wish they’d never been born.

If the class content truly intrigues you, and you feel that knowledge of the subject will enhance your intelligence or open doors to new ideas and concepts (which is really why you’re paying so much to get an education in the first place), then why not take a chance? Maybe your opportunities depend on it.

I was once enrolled in an international relations course, but because the syllabus looked scary and the professor seemed stern, I dropped it. I couldn’t take it – even the emails gave me anxiety. I felt like I wouldn’t have enough time to put into this class that wasn’t guaranteed to benefit my future career.

Now I wish I had toughed it out. I ended up with a less compelling class that I knew I could get an ‘A’ in, but in the end, I didn’t feel smug for outsmarting the system by taking a class that was worth just as much on paper as an intimidating one.

Instead, I felt stupid because I had actually cheated myself in terms of learning about something that could have enriched my life. That “scary” class might have led to an entirely different outlook on what I want to be and accomplish.

The desire to take an easy course can make you miss out on knowledge that requires a bit more grit. Talk yourself through your doubts. Remind yourself that you have a better chance of succeeding than failing, because if you’re putting everything into making the former happen, you lessen the odds of the latter.

Worse than failing is not giving yourself the opportunity to exceed your own expectations. And when we don’t take on challenges, we stunt our own growth.

While the easy route is safe, the challenge is fruitful, no matter the outcome. Only when curiosity conquers self-doubt do you realize the limitlessness of yourself.

Hunter Wright is a sophomore majoring in creative writing.

Hunter Wright

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

Day Three of University of Miami football practice media viewing Friday inside the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg saved her best for last at the 2019 NCAA Swimmin ...

In a battle between two of the ACC's best pitchers, No. 5 NC State mustered a fifth-inning rall ...

The Hurricanes top Duke, 4-3, to improve to 6-0 in conference action. ...

The Miami track and field team concluded day one of the Power 5 Trailblazer Challenge competing in t ...