Drop the fear of challenges

New classes are beginning, and everyone is trying to make their schedules as bearable as possible. Be prepared when that 100-level science class you selected to fulfill your science requirement ends up being 5th grade all over again –without the fun of baking soda volcanoes.

Save yourself the drool and backpack prints on your face and seek out a challenge instead. Don’t be so quick to run away when a professor warns students that not many will receive an ‘A,’ or that the workload will be particularly heavy, or that by the end of the semester everyone who chooses to stay will wish they’d never been born.

If the class content truly intrigues you, and you feel that knowledge of the subject will enhance your intelligence or open doors to new ideas and concepts (which is really why you’re paying so much to get an education in the first place), then why not take a chance? Maybe your opportunities depend on it.

I was once enrolled in an international relations course, but because the syllabus looked scary and the professor seemed stern, I dropped it. I couldn’t take it – even the emails gave me anxiety. I felt like I wouldn’t have enough time to put into this class that wasn’t guaranteed to benefit my future career.

Now I wish I had toughed it out. I ended up with a less compelling class that I knew I could get an ‘A’ in, but in the end, I didn’t feel smug for outsmarting the system by taking a class that was worth just as much on paper as an intimidating one.

Instead, I felt stupid because I had actually cheated myself in terms of learning about something that could have enriched my life. That “scary” class might have led to an entirely different outlook on what I want to be and accomplish.

The desire to take an easy course can make you miss out on knowledge that requires a bit more grit. Talk yourself through your doubts. Remind yourself that you have a better chance of succeeding than failing, because if you’re putting everything into making the former happen, you lessen the odds of the latter.

Worse than failing is not giving yourself the opportunity to exceed your own expectations. And when we don’t take on challenges, we stunt our own growth.

While the easy route is safe, the challenge is fruitful, no matter the outcome. Only when curiosity conquers self-doubt do you realize the limitlessness of yourself.

Hunter Wright is a sophomore majoring in creative writing.

Hunter Wright

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...