Technology takes the “live” out of live concerts

As I sat on the grassy lawn section of the Cruzan Amphitheater watching some of my favorite bands play at a recent music festival, I stared ahead at a sea of raised smartphones.

While sitting through an anti-climatic yet spastic performance by Matt & Kim, I pondered the generational progression of the habits of festivalgoers.

In the sixties and into the seventies, crowds of music lovers connected with their favorite bands by standing in a crowd with two fingers raised as a sign of peace.

I imagine there was a common wave of peace, love and happiness that surged through crowds of hundreds, maybe even thousands at that time.

In the eighties, hard rock music was on the rise as bands like Def Leppard, Van Halen and Guns N’ Roses gained a respectable following. At these concerts, I am led to believe that the hand symbol for rock and roll (the extension and the pointer finger and the pinky) was the common trend among concertgoers.

Then of course comes the nineties, a decade of alternative rock. Fans at Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers or Green Day concerts could be seen with their fists held high as they jammed along with their favorite grunge, alternative bands.

That brings us to the twentieth century. Technology has most definitely taken over the masses. At first it was cameras, then digital cameras, and now the smartphone and tablet phase.

But what does all this mean, and is it significant?

For me, I attend concerts for the atmosphere. There is no better therapy than live music. Live music never fails to give me the reality check I need when I find myself wrapped up in the intricacies of my hectic lifestyle.

Of course, if I’m standing under the nose of a band like Fitz & the Tantrums, Capital Cities or Passion Pit, I can’t help but take out my phone and capture a video or snap a few pictures – because pictures and videos are tokens that I can look back on and remember fondly how much I love music.

However, there are some major drawbacks to having those subconscious notions to pull out a device to watch a concert for you. Void of technology, concertgoers are fully immersed in the music and the atmosphere. They connect with the bands they love, and they don’t worry how many likes their super cool video of Passion Pit’s “Carried Away” will get them on Facebook.

I plea to concert and festival enthusiasts like myself to put away the smartphones, the cameras, and the tablets, and once again enjoy the atmosphere of music. Remember that technology should not be an extension of the hand, and live music should never be seen or heard through a screen.

Jamie Servidio is a sophomore majoring in journalism.

Jamie Servidio

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...