Use UM resources to stay sane during finals

Finals are here, and with only one reading day this year, students may find themselves more stressed than usual. This year, the semester ends on a Tuesday and finals begin that Thursday. In the past, classes have ended on a Friday with finals beginning the following Wednesday, giving students four days in between. Though the turnaround time is shorter, there are still ways to maximize your time and stay stress-free as you go through finals.

One way to stay stress-free during finals is to actually use that one reading day to prepare for upcoming exams. Though it may be tempting to sleep the entire day away, don’t do it if you have finals later that week. Take time to rest and eat, as both of those things are crucial to you performing well, but also make sure that you stay productive. Also, check with your professors to see if they will be having extended office hours or a review session during reading days, if not sooner. Professors are holding these things for your benefit, not theirs, so don’t pass up the opportunity to get the additional help if you know that you need it.

Another resource on campus is the Academic Resource Center (ARC). They have, in the past, offered review sessions for the major classes such as MTH 161, CHM 111 and ACC 211. Be on the lookout for emails and flyers advertising these services because they can be very beneficial and the only thing they cost you is time. If large study groups are not your thing, the ARC also offers regular individual tutoring. However, if you feel that you are going to need tutoring, especially if it is in a popular subject, be sure to put in your request as soon as possible. Sometimes pre-professional student organizations will offer free tutoring so be on the lookout for that as well.

If you find yourself feeling overwhelmed and as though things are spiraling out of control, you can make an appointment to visit the counseling center. They also accept walk-in appointments. Everything is confidential and the counselors are trained professionals there to assist you, regardless of what your need may be. There are also going to be study breaks on campus. Go to as many of them as you can, because they are meant to help you relax and not get to a point of extreme stress. Also, there are usually free snacks and coffee at the study breaks, and who doesn’t love that?

Regardless of how many finals or papers you may have, it is very possible to survive finals week with your sanity intact. Just use your time wisely, seek help if you need it, and keep moving forward. The semester will be over before you know it.

Taylor Duckett is a junior majoring in economics.

Taylor Duckett

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...