Blogs, Free Foreign Film Friday

Norwegian odyssey makes waves

“Kon Tiki” – Norway – Netflix Instant Watch

“Kon-Tiki” chronicles the odyssey of a Norwegian hero, Thor, but unlike the one from Norse myths or from the Marvel franchise, Thor Heyerdahl revolutionized the scientific world and inspired a wave of pioneers.

Based on the true story of Heyerdahl’s 5,000 mile expedition from Peru to Polynesia, this movie provides a cinematic adventure that is also educational. Although it contains snippets of marine science and engineering facts, what the film teaches most is leadership and faith in nature.

The transitions from action to action that occur on board the raft is creative and fluid. Without ever relying on melodramatic fluctuations of emotions to provoke reactions, the (mostly) non-stressful movie is never repetitive. Every scene is relevant and purposeful; every scene adds another piece to the story, bringing life to the launch of a raft’s voyage.

Carrying six men through Pacific waters, the hand built raft was entirely composed of primitive materials and was built using no technology.

The clean cut cinematography is as fresh and crisp as the Norwegian snowy landscapes and the deep sea waves. This understated directness served as a fitting vehicle for a historical narrative that speaks for itself.

After you watch this 2012 film, check out the original, Academy-Award winning documentary of the same name on Amazon Prime:

http://www.amazon.com/Kon-Tiki-Thor-Heyerdahl/dp/B000RWE9YY/ref=tmm_aiv_title_0

Luisa Andonie

Miami couldn’t in-bound the ball. When the host Hurricanes’ women’s basketball team looks back at Su ...

Offensive line is always one of the biggest needs for the Miami Hurricanes on the recruiting trail a ...

When Manny Diaz briefly left the Miami Hurricanes to become the coach of the Temple Owls, Keshawn Wa ...

Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic has been through more trauma in the ...

The words “Sweet 16” may never have been uttered as the Miami Hurricanes were laying out their prese ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team will play fifth-seeded Arizona State in a top-2 ...

A ninth inning rally pushed No. 5 NC State past the Canes on Sunday afternoon. ...

Miami's stellar season came to end Sunday, as the Hurricanes fell to ASU, 57-55, in the NCAA To ...

Despite Estela Perez-Somarriba logging a top-five triumph for the 100th win of her career, the No. 2 ...

Facing No. 11 North Carolina on its home court, the University of Miami men's tennis team got o ...