Blogs, Free Foreign Film Friday

Norwegian odyssey makes waves

“Kon Tiki” – Norway – Netflix Instant Watch

“Kon-Tiki” chronicles the odyssey of a Norwegian hero, Thor, but unlike the one from Norse myths or from the Marvel franchise, Thor Heyerdahl revolutionized the scientific world and inspired a wave of pioneers.

Based on the true story of Heyerdahl’s 5,000 mile expedition from Peru to Polynesia, this movie provides a cinematic adventure that is also educational. Although it contains snippets of marine science and engineering facts, what the film teaches most is leadership and faith in nature.

The transitions from action to action that occur on board the raft is creative and fluid. Without ever relying on melodramatic fluctuations of emotions to provoke reactions, the (mostly) non-stressful movie is never repetitive. Every scene is relevant and purposeful; every scene adds another piece to the story, bringing life to the launch of a raft’s voyage.

Carrying six men through Pacific waters, the hand built raft was entirely composed of primitive materials and was built using no technology.

The clean cut cinematography is as fresh and crisp as the Norwegian snowy landscapes and the deep sea waves. This understated directness served as a fitting vehicle for a historical narrative that speaks for itself.

After you watch this 2012 film, check out the original, Academy-Award winning documentary of the same name on Amazon Prime:

http://www.amazon.com/Kon-Tiki-Thor-Heyerdahl/dp/B000RWE9YY/ref=tmm_aiv_title_0

Luisa Andonie

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...