Blogs, Free Foreign Film Friday

Norwegian odyssey makes waves

“Kon Tiki” – Norway – Netflix Instant Watch

“Kon-Tiki” chronicles the odyssey of a Norwegian hero, Thor, but unlike the one from Norse myths or from the Marvel franchise, Thor Heyerdahl revolutionized the scientific world and inspired a wave of pioneers.

Based on the true story of Heyerdahl’s 5,000 mile expedition from Peru to Polynesia, this movie provides a cinematic adventure that is also educational. Although it contains snippets of marine science and engineering facts, what the film teaches most is leadership and faith in nature.

The transitions from action to action that occur on board the raft is creative and fluid. Without ever relying on melodramatic fluctuations of emotions to provoke reactions, the (mostly) non-stressful movie is never repetitive. Every scene is relevant and purposeful; every scene adds another piece to the story, bringing life to the launch of a raft’s voyage.

Carrying six men through Pacific waters, the hand built raft was entirely composed of primitive materials and was built using no technology.

The clean cut cinematography is as fresh and crisp as the Norwegian snowy landscapes and the deep sea waves. This understated directness served as a fitting vehicle for a historical narrative that speaks for itself.

After you watch this 2012 film, check out the original, Academy-Award winning documentary of the same name on Amazon Prime:

http://www.amazon.com/Kon-Tiki-Thor-Heyerdahl/dp/B000RWE9YY/ref=tmm_aiv_title_0

Luisa Andonie

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...