Edge, Q & A + Profiles, Reviews

Mat Kearney takes Lauderdale Live audience on successful first date

Holding a music festival during South Florida’s busiest cultural weekend doesn’t sound like the brightest idea. But for those who attended Lauderdale Live instead of Art Basel from Friday through Sunday, it was a rare opportunity to have an intimate experience with the musicians (by default of having such a small crowd in attendance).

Mat Kearney, the “Ships in the Night” singer who got his start in 2006 with the album “Nothing Left to Lose,” performed in Downtown Fort Lauderdale’s Huizenga Plaza Saturday night, and took advantage of this atmosphere.

During his set, Kearney adopted an anything-goes approach, which made for a memorable experience.

“Tonight was unique,” he told The Miami Hurricane.

Kearney broke typical concert rules when he asked the crowd to shout out their requests and performed a song that his band didn’t even know how to back: “City of Black & White,” the title track off his third album that he rarely plays for an audience.

“With a music festival like this, it’s not like a small venue where everyone comes for you. It’s kind of like a first date,” Kearney said. “The challenge is to win them over. You’re hoping to at least get a kiss at the end of the night.”

As if this weren’t enough, Kearney again strayed from the beaten path during one of his songs, free-styling comical yet impressively smooth lyrics about the crowd in front of him. And finally, he jumped off the stage and into the small crowd to interact with every person there – all while holding a note.

Although it may have seemed to the audience like this spontaneity is the norm for Kearney – a man who decided to quit college in California and follow a friend to Nashville to pursue his music career – he says he can be quite analytical.

“I come from a family of lawyers,” Kearney explained.

The good news for great fans: This methodical musician is now working on his next album. It’s been in the works for about a year, but Kearney only recently hit the studio.

“I officially started recording a couple of weeks ago in L.A. So I have a ton, almost 50 songs, but I’m narrowing it down and starting to finish the record,” he said.

Much like those off his last album, “Young Love,” Kearney says the songs will be beat-driven with a hip-hop sound.

“‘Ships in the Night’ was the leading point into this new album,” Kearney said, moving his hands as if he were steering a ship in a new direction.

And the multitalented man hasn’t limited his focus to music-making. Kearney recently released a Napa Valley red wine called Verse and Chorus, which is now being sold at Whole Foods. For more information, visit wholefoodsmarket.com/wine.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...