Rhythm Nation brings variety to performances

Senior Tonisha DeBrito, junior Kenthia Farmer, senior Ayita Verna, and junior Victoria Hernandez perform with Rhythm Nation at the Finals Fiesta on Thursday night at the Hecht-Stanford Bridge. Hallee Meltzer // Staff Photographer

Rhythm Nation, a new dance organization, is making waves on campus by encompassing not only dance, but a variety of aspects of the performing arts.

As president of Rhythm Nation, junior Kenthia Farmer led the organization to its first win as a competitive dance team at the International Dance Competition (IDC), a yearly competition hosted by the Council On International Student Organizations (COISO).

“I was excited that the members were excited,” Farmer said. “For them to have the patience and dedication and excitement for the organization and feel the reward of working hard this semester was the most rewarding aspect for me.”

Not all members of Rhythm Nation are dancers, however. The group tries to recruit members who embody all elements of performing and is also open to makeup artists, costume designers, stage managers and hair stylists.

For many members of Rhythm Nation, being in the organization meant a new sense of belonging in a group distinct from other dance groups on campus.

“It’s given me a lot of opportunities to grow and dance and try different styles and be a leader as well,” sophomore Kenya Tay said.

Members of the organization also aim to promote diversity and acceptance of everyone, regardless of talent. Sonny Huynh is a sophomore who specializes in popping and electric dancing.

“I’ve been dancing for a few years now, and I wanted to join a group, but the others were too uptight,” he said. “Rhythm Nation is for everyone, even if you don’t know how to dance.”

For students who want to get involved, Rhythm Nation holds auditions at the beginning of each semester.

Ashley McBride

Day Two of spring practice began at about 9 a.m. or thereafter on Wednesday at the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Prosecutors have released video that shows ex-University of Miami star running back Mark Walton snat ...

The word “swag” was mentioned multiple times Tuesday at the inaugural Miami Hurricanes spring practi ...

How did Tate Martell’s Phoenix-based attorney, Travis Leach, convince the NCAA to permit Martell to ...

After a quick courtship, Daran Branch is the newest member of the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020. A ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

The University of Miami's Raheem Chambers was named the ACC Men's Outdoor Track Performer ...

Hear from the Hurricanes as they opened up day one of spring football inside the IPF. ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

Miami rises 13 spots to No. 23 nationally. ...