Rhythm Nation brings variety to performances

Senior Tonisha DeBrito, junior Kenthia Farmer, senior Ayita Verna, and junior Victoria Hernandez perform with Rhythm Nation at the Finals Fiesta on Thursday night at the Hecht-Stanford Bridge. Hallee Meltzer // Staff Photographer

Rhythm Nation, a new dance organization, is making waves on campus by encompassing not only dance, but a variety of aspects of the performing arts.

As president of Rhythm Nation, junior Kenthia Farmer led the organization to its first win as a competitive dance team at the International Dance Competition (IDC), a yearly competition hosted by the Council On International Student Organizations (COISO).

“I was excited that the members were excited,” Farmer said. “For them to have the patience and dedication and excitement for the organization and feel the reward of working hard this semester was the most rewarding aspect for me.”

Not all members of Rhythm Nation are dancers, however. The group tries to recruit members who embody all elements of performing and is also open to makeup artists, costume designers, stage managers and hair stylists.

For many members of Rhythm Nation, being in the organization meant a new sense of belonging in a group distinct from other dance groups on campus.

“It’s given me a lot of opportunities to grow and dance and try different styles and be a leader as well,” sophomore Kenya Tay said.

Members of the organization also aim to promote diversity and acceptance of everyone, regardless of talent. Sonny Huynh is a sophomore who specializes in popping and electric dancing.

“I’ve been dancing for a few years now, and I wanted to join a group, but the others were too uptight,” he said. “Rhythm Nation is for everyone, even if you don’t know how to dance.”

For students who want to get involved, Rhythm Nation holds auditions at the beginning of each semester.

Ashley McBride

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...