Rhythm Nation brings variety to performances

Senior Tonisha DeBrito, junior Kenthia Farmer, senior Ayita Verna, and junior Victoria Hernandez perform with Rhythm Nation at the Finals Fiesta on Thursday night at the Hecht-Stanford Bridge. Hallee Meltzer // Staff Photographer

Rhythm Nation, a new dance organization, is making waves on campus by encompassing not only dance, but a variety of aspects of the performing arts.

As president of Rhythm Nation, junior Kenthia Farmer led the organization to its first win as a competitive dance team at the International Dance Competition (IDC), a yearly competition hosted by the Council On International Student Organizations (COISO).

“I was excited that the members were excited,” Farmer said. “For them to have the patience and dedication and excitement for the organization and feel the reward of working hard this semester was the most rewarding aspect for me.”

Not all members of Rhythm Nation are dancers, however. The group tries to recruit members who embody all elements of performing and is also open to makeup artists, costume designers, stage managers and hair stylists.

For many members of Rhythm Nation, being in the organization meant a new sense of belonging in a group distinct from other dance groups on campus.

“It’s given me a lot of opportunities to grow and dance and try different styles and be a leader as well,” sophomore Kenya Tay said.

Members of the organization also aim to promote diversity and acceptance of everyone, regardless of talent. Sonny Huynh is a sophomore who specializes in popping and electric dancing.

“I’ve been dancing for a few years now, and I wanted to join a group, but the others were too uptight,” he said. “Rhythm Nation is for everyone, even if you don’t know how to dance.”

For students who want to get involved, Rhythm Nation holds auditions at the beginning of each semester.

Ashley McBride

Seniors Emily Gossett, Millie Chokshi, and Jason Kaplan are eager to implement their platform throug ...

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big game ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

Head coach Manny Diaz and The New Miami will make their debut against an old rival, facing No. 8 Flo ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

Check out the latest issue of Hurricane Magazine, featuring stories on Canes football, basketball, s ...

UM women's soccer opened its 2019 campaign by blowing past UTRGV, 4-0. ...

The Hurricanes kick off their 2019 soccer campaign Thursday night against UTRGV. ...