Rhythm Nation brings variety to performances

Senior Tonisha DeBrito, junior Kenthia Farmer, senior Ayita Verna, and junior Victoria Hernandez perform with Rhythm Nation at the Finals Fiesta on Thursday night at the Hecht-Stanford Bridge. Hallee Meltzer // Staff Photographer

Rhythm Nation, a new dance organization, is making waves on campus by encompassing not only dance, but a variety of aspects of the performing arts.

As president of Rhythm Nation, junior Kenthia Farmer led the organization to its first win as a competitive dance team at the International Dance Competition (IDC), a yearly competition hosted by the Council On International Student Organizations (COISO).

“I was excited that the members were excited,” Farmer said. “For them to have the patience and dedication and excitement for the organization and feel the reward of working hard this semester was the most rewarding aspect for me.”

Not all members of Rhythm Nation are dancers, however. The group tries to recruit members who embody all elements of performing and is also open to makeup artists, costume designers, stage managers and hair stylists.

For many members of Rhythm Nation, being in the organization meant a new sense of belonging in a group distinct from other dance groups on campus.

“It’s given me a lot of opportunities to grow and dance and try different styles and be a leader as well,” sophomore Kenya Tay said.

Members of the organization also aim to promote diversity and acceptance of everyone, regardless of talent. Sonny Huynh is a sophomore who specializes in popping and electric dancing.

“I’ve been dancing for a few years now, and I wanted to join a group, but the others were too uptight,” he said. “Rhythm Nation is for everyone, even if you don’t know how to dance.”

For students who want to get involved, Rhythm Nation holds auditions at the beginning of each semester.

Ashley McBride

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...