Political science department relocates to renovated art building

The political science department will be housed in the renovated art building. Nick Gangemi // Assistant Photo Editor

The political science department has a new home in the renovated art building behind the Memorial Building, along with the departments of international studies and geography.

The political science department has been housed in the Business School. The move began two weeks before Thanksgiving break and is still a work in progress.

“There were even plans to merge international studies and political science together but for now, we are all just in the same space,” associate professor Louise K. Davidson-Schmich said.

Although unsure what will happen to the newly opened space, Arthur Simon, an undergraduate student adviser, believes the move made sense because the political science degree is no longer a major in the Business School.

Simon said that the City of Coral Gables and the University of Miami agreed to renovate the building because it is one of the older ones on campus.

For students, the change will be a positive one. Since many students double major in both political science and international studies, it will be easier to have both departments closer to each other.

“At least now everything will be in one building,” said sophomore Janelle Rodriguez-Mena, a political science major. “Even though I don’t have any classes there, it’s nice to know that everything is organized into one area on campus.”

Many of the faculty members also teach for both majors, which makes it easier for professors as they do not have to walk too far from their offices, Simon said.

Additionally, the walk to the building is “equal distance” from the renovated building to Memorial and Memorial to the Business School, said Jonathan West, a professor of political science.

“Although students might have to get accustomed to the new location, the walk isn’t a bad thing,” Simon said.

For More Information:

The political science department moved to the renovated art building at 1300 Campo Sano Avenue. International studies and geography will also be housed in this building.

For more information, visit as.miami.edu/politicalscience.

Alina Zerpa

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...