Political science department relocates to renovated art building

The political science department will be housed in the renovated art building. Nick Gangemi // Assistant Photo Editor

The political science department has a new home in the renovated art building behind the Memorial Building, along with the departments of international studies and geography.

The political science department has been housed in the Business School. The move began two weeks before Thanksgiving break and is still a work in progress.

“There were even plans to merge international studies and political science together but for now, we are all just in the same space,” associate professor Louise K. Davidson-Schmich said.

Although unsure what will happen to the newly opened space, Arthur Simon, an undergraduate student adviser, believes the move made sense because the political science degree is no longer a major in the Business School.

Simon said that the City of Coral Gables and the University of Miami agreed to renovate the building because it is one of the older ones on campus.

For students, the change will be a positive one. Since many students double major in both political science and international studies, it will be easier to have both departments closer to each other.

“At least now everything will be in one building,” said sophomore Janelle Rodriguez-Mena, a political science major. “Even though I don’t have any classes there, it’s nice to know that everything is organized into one area on campus.”

Many of the faculty members also teach for both majors, which makes it easier for professors as they do not have to walk too far from their offices, Simon said.

Additionally, the walk to the building is “equal distance” from the renovated building to Memorial and Memorial to the Business School, said Jonathan West, a professor of political science.

“Although students might have to get accustomed to the new location, the walk isn’t a bad thing,” Simon said.

For More Information:

The political science department moved to the renovated art building at 1300 Campo Sano Avenue. International studies and geography will also be housed in this building.

For more information, visit as.miami.edu/politicalscience.

Alina Zerpa

Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic has been through more trauma in the ...

The words “Sweet 16” may never have been uttered as the Miami Hurricanes were laying out their prese ...

The mid-major monster nearly mauled the Miami Hurricanes again. But Miami bit back. Miami’s past thr ...

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team will play fifth-seeded Arizona State in a top-2 ...

The Hurricanes made a ninth inning rally, but came up just short to No. 5 NC State, 7-6. ...

Kevin Arreaga of the University of Miami track and field team won the men's hammer throw on Sat ...

The Hurricanes received two key signatures from transfers in December's early signing period. ...

The Hurricanes travel to Chapel Hill, N.C., to battle the 11th-ranked Tar Heels. ...