Political science department relocates to renovated art building

The political science department will be housed in the renovated art building. Nick Gangemi // Assistant Photo Editor

The political science department has a new home in the renovated art building behind the Memorial Building, along with the departments of international studies and geography.

The political science department has been housed in the Business School. The move began two weeks before Thanksgiving break and is still a work in progress.

“There were even plans to merge international studies and political science together but for now, we are all just in the same space,” associate professor Louise K. Davidson-Schmich said.

Although unsure what will happen to the newly opened space, Arthur Simon, an undergraduate student adviser, believes the move made sense because the political science degree is no longer a major in the Business School.

Simon said that the City of Coral Gables and the University of Miami agreed to renovate the building because it is one of the older ones on campus.

For students, the change will be a positive one. Since many students double major in both political science and international studies, it will be easier to have both departments closer to each other.

“At least now everything will be in one building,” said sophomore Janelle Rodriguez-Mena, a political science major. “Even though I don’t have any classes there, it’s nice to know that everything is organized into one area on campus.”

Many of the faculty members also teach for both majors, which makes it easier for professors as they do not have to walk too far from their offices, Simon said.

Additionally, the walk to the building is “equal distance” from the renovated building to Memorial and Memorial to the Business School, said Jonathan West, a professor of political science.

“Although students might have to get accustomed to the new location, the walk isn’t a bad thing,” Simon said.

For More Information:

The political science department moved to the renovated art building at 1300 Campo Sano Avenue. International studies and geography will also be housed in this building.

For more information, visit as.miami.edu/politicalscience.

Alina Zerpa

Zach Johnson is known for his fashion sense, and always has been since he led Miami Norland High to ...

Let’s fire everybody! And while we’re at it let’s fire the people who hired the people we just fired ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt, whose Hurricanes are in the midst of a four-game losing streak ...

The University of Miami’s interest in Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant apparently is m ...

For the first time since Mark Richt benched N’Kosi Perry for Malik Rosier in the Miami Hurricanes’ l ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The 2018 midterm election shifts the balance of power in Congress, with women playing a huge role. ...

UM alumna, one-time Miami Dolphins cheerleader, and National Geographic explorer Mireya Mayor lives ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball is a member of the 2018-19 Citizen Naismith ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated Hartford, 75-62, Sunday afternoon at the Watsco Cent ...