Political science department relocates to renovated art building

The political science department will be housed in the renovated art building. Nick Gangemi // Assistant Photo Editor

The political science department has a new home in the renovated art building behind the Memorial Building, along with the departments of international studies and geography.

The political science department has been housed in the Business School. The move began two weeks before Thanksgiving break and is still a work in progress.

“There were even plans to merge international studies and political science together but for now, we are all just in the same space,” associate professor Louise K. Davidson-Schmich said.

Although unsure what will happen to the newly opened space, Arthur Simon, an undergraduate student adviser, believes the move made sense because the political science degree is no longer a major in the Business School.

Simon said that the City of Coral Gables and the University of Miami agreed to renovate the building because it is one of the older ones on campus.

For students, the change will be a positive one. Since many students double major in both political science and international studies, it will be easier to have both departments closer to each other.

“At least now everything will be in one building,” said sophomore Janelle Rodriguez-Mena, a political science major. “Even though I don’t have any classes there, it’s nice to know that everything is organized into one area on campus.”

Many of the faculty members also teach for both majors, which makes it easier for professors as they do not have to walk too far from their offices, Simon said.

Additionally, the walk to the building is “equal distance” from the renovated building to Memorial and Memorial to the Business School, said Jonathan West, a professor of political science.

“Although students might have to get accustomed to the new location, the walk isn’t a bad thing,” Simon said.

For More Information:

The political science department moved to the renovated art building at 1300 Campo Sano Avenue. International studies and geography will also be housed in this building.

For more information, visit as.miami.edu/politicalscience.

Alina Zerpa

New and returning students share some of their expectations for the semester on the first day of cla ...

Nearly 100 University of Miami students participated in Orientation Outreach to assist the staff at ...

Take a look back on new student orientation and browse through a gallery of photos from various even ...

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

Jeff Thomas is eager to get back on the field for the Hurricanes. ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...