News Briefs 12/5

Book Artist

The French Embassy Cultural Services and Richter Library’s Special Collections will present Didier Mutel, a book artist. He specializes in “old-school” techniques of designing books, using acid painting, calligraphy and bookbinding. The event will be held at 7 p.m. on Tuesday at the eighth floor of Richter Library. The general public is invited to attend. Parking is available on Memorial Drive in the lot behind the library. For more information and to RSVP, email asc.library@miami.edu or call 305-284-3247.

Commencement

Miami Heat President and Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame inductee Pat Riley will speak at the fall commencement ceremony. Commencement will take place at 10 a.m. on Dec. 19 at the BankUnited Center. The ceremony is only open to graduates and their guests. For more information, visit miami.edu/commencement. The ceremony will be webcast live and archived on this website.

Course  Evaluations

Course evaluations for fall 2013 do not close Monday and will instead end Dec. 23. Students were sent an email that shared the wrong deadline. Course evaluations can be accessed via this email or CaneLink. Responses are anonymous, and instructors do not have access to results before final grades are posted.

Oil Spill

A University of Miami RSMAS-led study to understand the path of oil and other pollutants in coastal areas began in Walton Beach, Fla., last Monday. In the Surfzone Coastal Oil Pathways Experiment (SCOPE), scientists will deploy GPS-equipped drifters and other instruments to study ocean currents along the coast to understand how oil moves onshore in the event of a spill. This research is made possible by a grant from the Gulf of Mexico Research Initiative (GoMRI). The GoMRI is a 10-year, $500 million independent research program established by an agreement between BP and the Gulf of Mexico Alliance to study the effects of the Deepwater Horizon incident and the potential associated impact of this and similar incidents on the environment and public health. The SCOPE Experiment is a project of the UM-based CARTHE. The CARTHE program includes 26 principal investigators from 12 research institutions in eight states. These scientists are engaged in the development of a suite of integrated models and state-of-the-art computations that bridge the scale gap between existing models and natural processes. For more information about CARTHE, please visit carthe.org or on Facebook at facebook.com/carthe.gomri.

Alexander Gonzalez may be emailed at news@themiamihurricane.com. 

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...