News Briefs 12/5

Book Artist

The French Embassy Cultural Services and Richter Library’s Special Collections will present Didier Mutel, a book artist. He specializes in “old-school” techniques of designing books, using acid painting, calligraphy and bookbinding. The event will be held at 7 p.m. on Tuesday at the eighth floor of Richter Library. The general public is invited to attend. Parking is available on Memorial Drive in the lot behind the library. For more information and to RSVP, email asc.library@miami.edu or call 305-284-3247.

Commencement

Miami Heat President and Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame inductee Pat Riley will speak at the fall commencement ceremony. Commencement will take place at 10 a.m. on Dec. 19 at the BankUnited Center. The ceremony is only open to graduates and their guests. For more information, visit miami.edu/commencement. The ceremony will be webcast live and archived on this website.

Course  Evaluations

Course evaluations for fall 2013 do not close Monday and will instead end Dec. 23. Students were sent an email that shared the wrong deadline. Course evaluations can be accessed via this email or CaneLink. Responses are anonymous, and instructors do not have access to results before final grades are posted.

Oil Spill

A University of Miami RSMAS-led study to understand the path of oil and other pollutants in coastal areas began in Walton Beach, Fla., last Monday. In the Surfzone Coastal Oil Pathways Experiment (SCOPE), scientists will deploy GPS-equipped drifters and other instruments to study ocean currents along the coast to understand how oil moves onshore in the event of a spill. This research is made possible by a grant from the Gulf of Mexico Research Initiative (GoMRI). The GoMRI is a 10-year, $500 million independent research program established by an agreement between BP and the Gulf of Mexico Alliance to study the effects of the Deepwater Horizon incident and the potential associated impact of this and similar incidents on the environment and public health. The SCOPE Experiment is a project of the UM-based CARTHE. The CARTHE program includes 26 principal investigators from 12 research institutions in eight states. These scientists are engaged in the development of a suite of integrated models and state-of-the-art computations that bridge the scale gap between existing models and natural processes. For more information about CARTHE, please visit carthe.org or on Facebook at facebook.com/carthe.gomri.

Alexander Gonzalez may be emailed at news@themiamihurricane.com. 

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...