Administration, News

Administrator recognized for community engagement efforts

Robin Bachin, founder of the Office of Civic and Community Engagement, was awarded Florida Campus Compact’s 2013 Community Engagement Educator Award for her involvement within the greater Miami community on Nov. 7.

“I was pleasantly surprised when my name was announced,” she said. “I had shown up to the ceremony without knowing I had won.”

The award recognizes individuals who encourage campus-community partnership initiatives for faculty and students. Not just a founder, Bachin is the assistant provost of Civic and Community Engagement and has worked on several projects throughout her 17-year tenure at the University of Miami.

She aims to “bridge the gap between the academy and the public by making academic research more available to the general masses.”

Bachin has always been interested in urban design and urban culture because of their sustaining applicability to current problems many community organizations are now facing. Her work focuses on “sustainability and urban design, as it relates to the intersections of urban and environmental history.”

She has created programs such as the Civic Scholars and the Southridge High School Partnership to encourage students to link service with their academic interests.

Classes offer credits labeled “civic” in the same way there are “writing-intensive” credits.

Bachin is a strong proponent of shared, collective knowledge, and is working with the library and other professors on a massive digitization process where manuscripts and books are reformatted for the web.

According to Bachin, local communities can learn many things from the numerous articles and information stored in archives, such as Richter’s Special Collections in the 8th floor of Richter Library. She believes that the community can benefit from the past, learning from previous mistakes and capitalizing on great past ideas.

Bachin has served on the Board of Directors of the Urban History Association, the Good Government Initiative, the Coral Gables Museum and the Urban Environment League of Greater Miami. She was also a past president of the Society for American City and Regional Planning History, an organization focused on merging scholarship with urban planning.

For more information on Civic and Community Engagement programs, email civicengagement@miami.edu or call 305-284-6636.

David O'Connell

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...