Administration, News

Administrator recognized for community engagement efforts

Robin Bachin, founder of the Office of Civic and Community Engagement, was awarded Florida Campus Compact’s 2013 Community Engagement Educator Award for her involvement within the greater Miami community on Nov. 7.

“I was pleasantly surprised when my name was announced,” she said. “I had shown up to the ceremony without knowing I had won.”

The award recognizes individuals who encourage campus-community partnership initiatives for faculty and students. Not just a founder, Bachin is the assistant provost of Civic and Community Engagement and has worked on several projects throughout her 17-year tenure at the University of Miami.

She aims to “bridge the gap between the academy and the public by making academic research more available to the general masses.”

Bachin has always been interested in urban design and urban culture because of their sustaining applicability to current problems many community organizations are now facing. Her work focuses on “sustainability and urban design, as it relates to the intersections of urban and environmental history.”

She has created programs such as the Civic Scholars and the Southridge High School Partnership to encourage students to link service with their academic interests.

Classes offer credits labeled “civic” in the same way there are “writing-intensive” credits.

Bachin is a strong proponent of shared, collective knowledge, and is working with the library and other professors on a massive digitization process where manuscripts and books are reformatted for the web.

According to Bachin, local communities can learn many things from the numerous articles and information stored in archives, such as Richter’s Special Collections in the 8th floor of Richter Library. She believes that the community can benefit from the past, learning from previous mistakes and capitalizing on great past ideas.

Bachin has served on the Board of Directors of the Urban History Association, the Good Government Initiative, the Coral Gables Museum and the Urban Environment League of Greater Miami. She was also a past president of the Society for American City and Regional Planning History, an organization focused on merging scholarship with urban planning.

For more information on Civic and Community Engagement programs, email civicengagement@miami.edu or call 305-284-6636.

David O'Connell

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...