Shalala recognizes Colombian president for leadership

UM President Donna E. Shalala believes in reciprocating honorable gestures.

On Monday, Shalala awarded Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos Calderon with the University of Miami President’s Medal at the Newman Alumni Center.

Two years ago,  Shalala received the Colombian Congressional Medal of Honor at Bogota’s Constitution Hall.

“I said then that the Congressional Medal of Honor will always represent a bond of friendship and mutual respect between the people of Colombia and our great university,” Shalala said in a statement. “I would now like to return the gesture and bestow the University of Miami President’s Medal on President Santos.’’

Santos, who stopped at the university while on his way to meet with President Barack Obama in Washington, D.C., spoke about the status of his country and about the different ways the country is improving its security, economy and infrastructure. He mentioned the positive route Colombia’s violence problem was taking, and said that he is hopeful that all the proper steps are being taken in order to improve the country’s security.

“If you take away that conflict, I think the sky’s the limit for Colombia,” Santos said.

Santos spoke to students, faculty, trustees and community business leaders.

Sophomore Zoe Kafkes attended the event as extra credit for her current immigration debate class.

She mentioned that she enjoyed attending and also likes that UM often hosts events with well-known political leaders.

“I think it’s great that so many prestigious political figures, or even just prestigious figures, visit campus,” she said. “Part of being at UM and getting an education isn’t just what goes on inside the classroom. It is the opportunities that occur outside the classroom. We can learn so much from experiences like these and they help to make us more diverse from our peers at other universities.”

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

Bennie Blades will serve as host of the UMSHoF's Eighth Annual Celebrity Bowling Tournament, on ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...