LinkedIn links to opportunities

My friends always tell me to create an Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat. At least I didn’t have to make a LinkedIn account, too.

I thought the correct order for using LinkedIn was 1) get a job and 2) make a LinkedIn profile listing that job under “current employment.” Recently, however, I have learned that a LinkedIn account helps you land the job in the first place.

LinkedIn has turned itself into the modern business card and resume, making it easier than ever for job candidates to network with both colleagues and potential employers at no cost at all. But just because LinkedIn accounts are associated with words like “professional” and “employment,” that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t make one as an undergraduate.

Creating an account as early as possible is key to having the best network of connections. An early start also allows you to request recommendations from previous bosses and professors right after you interact with them. And the earlier you create a profile, the earlier you can start updating it with activities, research, awards, community service and work experience as you gain them.

Because of all the information available online, employers tend to search the names of candidates they interview. Establishing a professional online presence is crucial. You want to be sure that if someone searches your name, the first thing that pops up is your LinkedIn profile.

In a way, it can be more effective than a paper resume, because it matches a face to all the qualifications, and potential employers can feel like they know you. I’ve even heard stories of college students being sought out by employers for positions they never even applied to simply because the employer stumbled upon his or her LinkedIn profile.

If you’re not in a class that requires you to create a profile, winter break is the time to start. If you already have one, don’t let it be stagnant: You have to continue to update it. If you’re a regular LinkedIn user, I can’t say you’re ahead of the game (because of how fast technology moves), but at least you’re keeping up with it.

Nayna Shah is a freshman majoring in music composition.

Nayna Shah

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...