SG plans for a stunning spring

Well, that was a nice and long break. We hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Welcome to the December edition of the monthly Student Government column. I’ll be wrapping up the semester and talking about a few things to keep an eye out for next semester.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), we’ve reached the end of the semester, and that means it is time for finals. Fear not, for SG is here to help. On Dec. 12, we will be holding the SG Study Break. From 6:30 to 7:15 p.m., there will be yoga on the Foote Green and at 7:15 p.m. we will have stress relieving activities and free food.

Looking toward next semester, we have a few really exciting things going on. At the beginning of the semester (Jan. 17 to be exact), SG and Canes Night Live are partnering to bring you Canes After Dark – Spring Kickoff. Like previous Canes After Dark events, it will be a lot of fun with tons of activities. We’re going to have live performances as well, so if you have a talent or skill you’d like to show off, shoot an email over to d.lorenzo4@umiami.edu and let us know what you can do.

Next semester also brings with it a new application cycle for Design-a-Course. This program gives students the opportunity to come up with a curriculum and teach a class in something that they are interested in. To give you an idea, last year there was a class about navigating the medical school application process. Getting a class approved takes some time, though, so it is important to start early. Keep an eye out early next semester for details.

Student Government elections will also take place next semester. Students can run for various Senate seats, as well as for president, vice president and treasurer. Filing begins Jan. 13 at 8 a.m., and more information will be made available on the Elections Commission OrgSync page. If you are interested in helping out with elections, applications to be an Elections Commissioner are currently available on the “Get Involved” tab on miami.edu/sg.

Good luck with finals, have a great winter break and don’t forget to turn off your electronics before you leave.

Adam Orshan is a senior majoring in international finance and marketing.

Adam Orshan

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...