Genders have equal control of life and love

“Diana, Bianca, Christine …” Hearing my professors complete roll call makes me feel like I’m back in my all-girls high school. Minus the nuns. I study in the School of Communication, where there are more girls than in, say, the College of Engineering. But the female-majority trend has spread across American college campuses.

Since 2000, women have represented almost 57 percent of enrollment in the nation’s universities, and they earn 60 percent of bachelor’s and master’s degrees. The University of Miami’s ratio is pretty even at 51/49, but schools like American University are tipping at 60/40.

Theories for the estrogen takeover include different brain chemistry, curriculums that don’t cater to boys’ interests, and the tendency of girls to have higher grades and lower drop-out rates.

Statistics like these make me want to rip off my bra and yell “Girl Power,” but the gender imbalance has social consequences. Sociologist Kathleen Bogle told The New York Times that, “On college campuses where there are far more women than men, men have all the power to control the intensity of sexual and romantic relationships.”

Feeling entitled, men set a standard for dating that some girls have no choice but to follow. If it were the other way around, girls’ rules would include mandatory viewings of “The Notebook” and less fantasy football.

But there’s another view: Hookup culture has furthered feminine progress. Temporary relationships or delayed marriages don’t distract from school and jobs. Women are purposely participating in casual affairs, which keeps them focused on grades and priorities. A serious relationship is seen by many as something to avoid because it can distract and derail goals. But not all girls are career-minded; some attend college in hopes of finding a future husband.

The choice is solely yours. We shouldn’t feel pressured by guys to “put out” because we think they’ll move onto the next girl. Nor should we be pressured by our fellow females to hookup casually, or by marriage-minded girls to settle down early. What matters is to be aware and in control of your love life, your sex life and your future.

Melanie Martinez is a sophomore majoring in journalism.

Melanie Martinez

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...