Campus Life, Health, Housing, News

Bed bug outbreak bugs members of Hecht Residential College

An outbreak of bed bugs in Hecht Residential College has directly affected eight rooms on an unknown number of floors.

A statement from University of Miami Media Relations said a pest management firm is treating the impacted rooms and the students living in those areas have been temporarily relocated.

“The University takes this issue very seriously,” the statement read.

The issue was first reported on floor 11 of McDonald Tower in Hecht.

Students in Hecht, including those affected, were reluctant to discuss the outbreak with media.

Freshman Kelly Nguyen, who lives in Pentland Tower, is worried that the bed bugs might travel from McDonald Tower to neighboring Pentland.

“We’re concerned that it can affect us too and it’s an inconvenience,” she said.

She and her roommate are taking precautions in an effort to avoid an infestation.

“My roommate and I were looking up different things to prevent bed bugs and basically it said to wash sheets very often and vacuum often and to just keep the room clean and tidy, and that’s what we’re planning on doing,” she said.

According to webmd.com, bed bugs feed on blood. Contrary to popular belief, bed bugs do not transmit diseases and because of blood-only diet, are not a sign of a dirty living environment.

They enter a room or home by catching a ride on clothing, luggage, and other items. They then hide in bed frames, mattresses, headboards, and box springs where they can lay in wait until nighttime, when they feed.

Bed bug symptoms include bites, which often start out painless and evolve into itchy red welts. In order to confirm an infestation, the bed bugs or evidence of them needs to first be spotted. The safest extermination option is to hire a pest professional.

As of Wednesday night, Stanford Residential College was unaffected.

Emily Dabau contributed to this report.

For more information:

Any students concerned about bed bugs should immediately contact the University Facilities Customer Service Help Desk at 305-284-8282.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

Emily Dabau

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...