Campus Life, Health, Housing, News

Bed bug outbreak bugs members of Hecht Residential College

An outbreak of bed bugs in Hecht Residential College has directly affected eight rooms on an unknown number of floors.

A statement from University of Miami Media Relations said a pest management firm is treating the impacted rooms and the students living in those areas have been temporarily relocated.

“The University takes this issue very seriously,” the statement read.

The issue was first reported on floor 11 of McDonald Tower in Hecht.

Students in Hecht, including those affected, were reluctant to discuss the outbreak with media.

Freshman Kelly Nguyen, who lives in Pentland Tower, is worried that the bed bugs might travel from McDonald Tower to neighboring Pentland.

“We’re concerned that it can affect us too and it’s an inconvenience,” she said.

She and her roommate are taking precautions in an effort to avoid an infestation.

“My roommate and I were looking up different things to prevent bed bugs and basically it said to wash sheets very often and vacuum often and to just keep the room clean and tidy, and that’s what we’re planning on doing,” she said.

According to webmd.com, bed bugs feed on blood. Contrary to popular belief, bed bugs do not transmit diseases and because of blood-only diet, are not a sign of a dirty living environment.

They enter a room or home by catching a ride on clothing, luggage, and other items. They then hide in bed frames, mattresses, headboards, and box springs where they can lay in wait until nighttime, when they feed.

Bed bug symptoms include bites, which often start out painless and evolve into itchy red welts. In order to confirm an infestation, the bed bugs or evidence of them needs to first be spotted. The safest extermination option is to hire a pest professional.

As of Wednesday night, Stanford Residential College was unaffected.

Emily Dabau contributed to this report.

For more information:

Any students concerned about bed bugs should immediately contact the University Facilities Customer Service Help Desk at 305-284-8282.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

Emily Dabau

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...