Be thankful for being a UM student

These are the top five reasons that I’m thankful for being a University of Miami student.

5. Palm trees

How many college students can say that in late November, they’re walking through a campus studded with tropical trees under perpetually blue skies while the sun hits their bare shoulders (because tank tops are acceptable year-round)? While elsewhere people are slipping on boots to avoid frost bite, we’re wearing them solely for cuteness. And so what if we don’t have fall leaves, we can go visit up north, and then Instagram pictures of it.

4. We’re good looking

Speaking of hotness, the Daily Beast lists the University of Miami as one of the sexiest colleges in America, sitting at number 8. Hot weather fosters revealing fashions, which isn’t a problem on a campus that has guys and girls scoring 9.50 and 9.43 out of 10. We’re lucky to be surrounded by generally good-looking people, because who doesn’t need some eye candy to perk up their Monday mornings? No. 1 on the list is the University of Wisconsin-Madison. They might have sexier students, but they do live in Wisconsin.

3. Location

Which brings me to our location. Our campus is in Coral Gables, a beautiful shaded suburb. It’s not far from Coconut Grove, a place known for crowded drunkenness, a bohemian feel and yummy food spots (but mostly for its crowded drunkenness). Then there’s Brickell, complete with tall steel buildings and sophisticated locales.  The club scene in South Beach is famous, and during the day we can enjoy its beach or stroll down Lincoln Road like a tourist. It’s a cliche, but we truly live where you vacation.

2. Diversity

And because we live in such a destination, it attracts people from all over the world. Students at schools like the University of Wisconsin-Madison (nothing personal) probably don’t go to class with people from Australia or Italy. Walking through campus and hearing five different languages within minutes makes me feel like a student of the world. Plus, we always have a place to stay when traveling (hint, hint, my international friends).

1. Top-tier academics

Although we attend school on a sun-soaked campus flooded with good-looking people in the middle of a bustling international city, it’s not all sunshine and partying. The fact remains that UM is a serious top-50 school, filled with professors always willing to help.

Walking around UM (beneath the palm trees, of course), you can’t help but feel grateful. It’s a relaxed atmosphere that makes you want to go to school, and it mixes academics, spirit and a whole lot of sun and happiness. And that’s definitely something to be thankful for.

Melanie Martinez is a sophomore majoring in journalism.

Melanie Martinez

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...