Be thankful for being a UM student

These are the top five reasons that I’m thankful for being a University of Miami student.

5. Palm trees

How many college students can say that in late November, they’re walking through a campus studded with tropical trees under perpetually blue skies while the sun hits their bare shoulders (because tank tops are acceptable year-round)? While elsewhere people are slipping on boots to avoid frost bite, we’re wearing them solely for cuteness. And so what if we don’t have fall leaves, we can go visit up north, and then Instagram pictures of it.

4. We’re good looking

Speaking of hotness, the Daily Beast lists the University of Miami as one of the sexiest colleges in America, sitting at number 8. Hot weather fosters revealing fashions, which isn’t a problem on a campus that has guys and girls scoring 9.50 and 9.43 out of 10. We’re lucky to be surrounded by generally good-looking people, because who doesn’t need some eye candy to perk up their Monday mornings? No. 1 on the list is the University of Wisconsin-Madison. They might have sexier students, but they do live in Wisconsin.

3. Location

Which brings me to our location. Our campus is in Coral Gables, a beautiful shaded suburb. It’s not far from Coconut Grove, a place known for crowded drunkenness, a bohemian feel and yummy food spots (but mostly for its crowded drunkenness). Then there’s Brickell, complete with tall steel buildings and sophisticated locales.  The club scene in South Beach is famous, and during the day we can enjoy its beach or stroll down Lincoln Road like a tourist. It’s a cliche, but we truly live where you vacation.

2. Diversity

And because we live in such a destination, it attracts people from all over the world. Students at schools like the University of Wisconsin-Madison (nothing personal) probably don’t go to class with people from Australia or Italy. Walking through campus and hearing five different languages within minutes makes me feel like a student of the world. Plus, we always have a place to stay when traveling (hint, hint, my international friends).

1. Top-tier academics

Although we attend school on a sun-soaked campus flooded with good-looking people in the middle of a bustling international city, it’s not all sunshine and partying. The fact remains that UM is a serious top-50 school, filled with professors always willing to help.

Walking around UM (beneath the palm trees, of course), you can’t help but feel grateful. It’s a relaxed atmosphere that makes you want to go to school, and it mixes academics, spirit and a whole lot of sun and happiness. And that’s definitely something to be thankful for.

Melanie Martinez is a sophomore majoring in journalism.

Melanie Martinez

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...