Strong family ties support college experience

In the process of becoming a true adult – managing time, acquiring financial independence and balancing a social life – we often put our most vital connections on the backburner. College is a demanding and stressful time.

A 2009 survey found that 85 percent of the 2,240 undergraduates interviewed experienced stress on a daily basis. This stress can isolate us as we become absorbed in our own problems, but keeping strong ties with our family can help keep up morale. In this fast-paced college lifestyle, it is important to remember that your family should be an active presence throughout your journey.

College strains family relationships, regardless of whether you see your family every day or are 200 miles away. It is easy to convince yourself that you are too busy or need to relax and go out with friends. Fewer phone calls are dialed, fewer packages are sent, and less care is transmitted.

Since you are managing your own life, your parents can become more like guides and friends than authority figures, if an effort toward open communication is made on both sides. About 80 percent of young people who have a good relationship with their parent­s are also happier with life in general. Although you can’t share all the little details you once did, small reminders that let each another know that your are on their minds can go a long way.

As for your siblings, whether you bicker and fight like bats out of hell, they will always have your back and are best friends that you are stuck with forever. We get consumed in friendships and forget about sibling-ships. Set some time apart to enjoy each other’s company as friends. You’d be surprised how many similarities you’ll find and love about them. It is especially easy to stay connected by sending funny texts or pictures on Snapchat, keeping communication lines open for when they need someone to turn to.

This coming holiday break, make an effort to reconnect with your loved ones in a special way. Have dinner together with the family. Not just on Thanksgiving. Whether it is a mom-made meal at the table or take-out on the couch, getting together at the end of the day to talk is special.

You can also initiate a special family outing. It can be a casual family night out to the movies or something else that would catch everyone by surprise and lead the family to bond in ways it hasn’t before.

You could be the special difference that strengthens your family’s happiness and love, the true gifts that we ultimately live our lives for.

Victoria Valdes is a sophomore majoring in public relations.

Victoria Valdes

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...