Academics, Opinion

Get the most bang for your tuition’s buck

At the beginning of each semester, we prepare to register for classes and cut a rather generous check to the University of Miami. And regardless of how many classes we register for, we pay the same flat-rate tuition, which covers 20 credits each semester.

As a freshman, my adviser helped me register for my first 15 credits, which she told me was the maximum amount I could take. In order to meet the 120-credit minimum that most majors require in a four-year span, students are expected to continue taking 15 credits each semester until they graduate.

However, many freshmen come in with a plethora of credits from their Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate exams, allowing them to take only 12-credit each semester, which is the minimum that the university requires.

As a continuing undergraduate student, my yearly tuition costs $41,580 for 2013-2013. Each credit is worth $1,730 per credit hour, according to UM’s cost of attendance breakdown.

Let’s say that, for argument’s sake, I excelled in high school and entered UM as a freshman with 30 credits from 10 AP classes I previously took.

That means that I only have to take 12 credits every semester until I graduate, but I am still paying the same tuition rate for eight unused credits each semester that is worth roughly $110,720 over the course of four years ($1,730 per credit times 16 credits each year). And I say roughly because our tuition is hiked up more and more each year, so there’s no telling how much extra I’d actually be paying.

Rather than continue to put your money to waste, I encourage you to take as many credits as you can honestly handle. This semester I am taking 19 credits (six classes and one practicum session), and I plan to do the same in the spring.

It is highly unlikely that I will get to learn three languages, study photography and sports writing, and be mentored by a Holocaust survivor at any other point in my life than during college. Look in to classes that interest you and take them. College is the time for us to find our passions and learn as much as we can.

You’re already paying for these courses, regardless of if you enroll in them, so you might as well sit down and learn a thing or two.

Jordan Coyne is a sophomore majoring in journalism and international studies.

Jordan Coyne

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...