Choice of professors affects the future

Just because a professor is a “nice guy,” that doesn’t mean he’s a good teacher. Finding a good professor is much more complex than that.

The subjective evaluation of these individuals becomes of key importance at this time in the semester when we choose classes.

Your selection of professor can impact your class experience, subject preference and possibly even spark an interest in a career you may have never before considered.

But, determining how to categorize a “good” professor requires a bit of analysis. Think of your favorite professor. This individual may have played the role of a mentor. Or, maybe the reason he or she was so influential was because he considered you an equal.

A good professor challenges and pushes you to think beyond your capabilities. He or she may give the most difficult assignments, but these professors’ patience and guidance allow you to do your best work. It is up to you to decide whether you would prefer to receive that easy “A” or take the chance on a more difficult professor to glean true life learning from the course.

One student’s favorite professor may be another person’s most hated. Consider your own personality. It is important to find a professor that fits your own learning style and work habits.

If you enjoy being captivated through storytelling with tales of war, anarchy and heroic tales, then the professor with the gallant personality and booming voice may be your best bet, even if he is not as specific about subject matter. However, if you are an individual that prefers simply knowing the main point, then a professor who provides concise Powerpoint slides may be your preferred choice.

While course evaluations, Rate My Professors and students who have taken a class with the professor are all good ways to help you avoid those professors who are just plain terrible, they are not the be-all and end-all to finding your new favorite.

Doing your research beforehand is useful, but don’t be surprised if your favorite professor finds you when you least expect it.

Alyssa Jacobson is a junior majoring in advertising and political science.

Alyssa Jacobson

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...