Take pride in classroom attire

The closer we get to graduation, the more important it is to prepare ourselves for adulthood and the real world. And that means dressing the part.

Especially for students who have left a high school with a uniform policy, college is a time to explore new things and dress to express personal style. But the key is to develop certain habits before it is too late: Avoid fashion faux pas and dress to impress.

There seems to be a game that many girls like to play on campus: How short is too short? This applies to dresses, skirts and shorts. There is a not-so-fine line between cute and tacky. While we don’t have to dress too professionally for class, we should show respect for other students on campus.

Beyond that, think about the professors. Inappropriate attire can make them uncomfortable, and it also allows them to form substandard opinions about you. Let’s refrain from drug-related tees, inappropriate shortness and tanks with gaping holes offering the rest of the campus a peek into your shirt, whether they want to or not.

Dressing more conservatively might gain you some respect and, in turn, better grades. In fact, it’s actually a consideration in certain classes with oral presentations. Professors also might feel disrespected by a major college trend – pajamas. Wearing pajama slippers to class yells “lazy” to everyone you pass. Congratulations on waking up for class. Now just change your pants.

Shoes (again, not slippers) are essential in everyday city life. But I have noticed people walking around campus barefoot. No shoes, yes problem. It is not only unhygienic, but also rather dangerous. Let’s protect our feet from blisters. Our campus is 10 miles away from the closest beach on Key Biscayne and South Beach. That means flip-flops are not appropriate, either. Dress yourself before you wreck yourself.

We have to remember that in a couple of years, or maybe even a couple of months, we will be transitioning into the professional world. That’s why it’s important to start getting used to dressing more professionally now.

There’s no need to wear a complete suit and tie to class, and a formal dress code would be too dramatic, but ask yourself: What am I presenting myself as? We are old enough to define our own style. Let yours be one that represents you in the best way possible.

Analicia Santaella is a senior majoring in public relations and art history.

Analicia Santaella

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...

100 days until Miami – Florida LVI. The countdown is on. ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...