Take pride in classroom attire

The closer we get to graduation, the more important it is to prepare ourselves for adulthood and the real world. And that means dressing the part.

Especially for students who have left a high school with a uniform policy, college is a time to explore new things and dress to express personal style. But the key is to develop certain habits before it is too late: Avoid fashion faux pas and dress to impress.

There seems to be a game that many girls like to play on campus: How short is too short? This applies to dresses, skirts and shorts. There is a not-so-fine line between cute and tacky. While we don’t have to dress too professionally for class, we should show respect for other students on campus.

Beyond that, think about the professors. Inappropriate attire can make them uncomfortable, and it also allows them to form substandard opinions about you. Let’s refrain from drug-related tees, inappropriate shortness and tanks with gaping holes offering the rest of the campus a peek into your shirt, whether they want to or not.

Dressing more conservatively might gain you some respect and, in turn, better grades. In fact, it’s actually a consideration in certain classes with oral presentations. Professors also might feel disrespected by a major college trend – pajamas. Wearing pajama slippers to class yells “lazy” to everyone you pass. Congratulations on waking up for class. Now just change your pants.

Shoes (again, not slippers) are essential in everyday city life. But I have noticed people walking around campus barefoot. No shoes, yes problem. It is not only unhygienic, but also rather dangerous. Let’s protect our feet from blisters. Our campus is 10 miles away from the closest beach on Key Biscayne and South Beach. That means flip-flops are not appropriate, either. Dress yourself before you wreck yourself.

We have to remember that in a couple of years, or maybe even a couple of months, we will be transitioning into the professional world. That’s why it’s important to start getting used to dressing more professionally now.

There’s no need to wear a complete suit and tie to class, and a formal dress code would be too dramatic, but ask yourself: What am I presenting myself as? We are old enough to define our own style. Let yours be one that represents you in the best way possible.

Analicia Santaella is a senior majoring in public relations and art history.

Analicia Santaella

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...