Edge, Theater, Uncategorized

‘She Loves Me’ celebrates following instinct

The semester’s last Jerry Herman Ring Theater production, She Loves Me, a musical about love and its whims in a parfumerie in the 1950’s floats as sweetly as the lofty, pink scents that the store promises its snobby, Parisian customers.

In the musical, one of the store’s salesmen exchanges love letters with a correspondent, who is unknowingly the girl he loathes.

Every element in the show serves to enchant in this delightful romantic comedy that inspired the Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan movie You’ve Got Mail. Like the modern adaptation borrows, the line between loathing and loving is a very fine one, which anonymous correspondence can easily erase.

This cute storyline is perfectly communicated thanks to the spot-on casting and whole-hearted acting. From the multiple song-endings that require comically long, breath-squeezing note holds, to the effervescent body language, the actors hold nothing back. Some actresses even pull off bravely acrobatic moves to reveal 20th century stocking-strapping panties. Scandalous!

Though not set in a ring setting, the warm proximity to the stage is preserved, as the audience seating area is arranged in a tight semi circle, with a small orchestra pit, that fits a trio of piano, bass and violin. The pianist faces the action, simultaneously observing, playing and orchestrating to synchronize the auditory to the visual. This vicinity accentuates the immersive quality.

Thanks to the intimate stage, the characters’ rich expressions flood the small space, spilling onto the audience. Especially in the scenes that have about a dozen performers on stage at once, the vivaciousness of the acting and the costumes makes for an exciting density that does not diminish the effervescence.

With their lace and chiffon rose-printed dresses, and suit and plaid stockings suits, the costumes are the envy of any vintage closet.

The musical even indulges in a few intentionally cheesy moments, such as when ceiling props quickly change from fall to winter, provoking an “Oh look, it’s fall!” line immediately followed by an  “Oh look, it’s winter!” reaction. Other special effects opt for a more romantic effect, such as the enchantingly executed snow, quietly falling behind a transparent cloth wall.

The message of the story is one that college students can relate to, since while some characters stress the importance of following the status quo to keep a job, the two main characters act instinctively, preferring to sacrifice the now to dream for the future.

These charming qualities make this play a worthy celebration of the upcoming change of season as well as the celebration of following your gut.

Luisa Andonie

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...