Blogs, Free Foreign Film Friday

Child star brings warmth, sheds light through grim realism

“Valentin” – Argentina, France, Italy – Netflix instant watch

The daily joys and woes of nine-year-old Valentin are genuinely recounted in this artistic film that is built on a narrative frame made up almost entirely of the boy’s disarmingly charming voiceovers.

Living in 1960s Buenos Aires, he resourcefully fights to maintain his youthful optimism while his grandmother who cares for him, resourcefully manages to maintain him. Yet, even as his family offers condescension and dismissal, he holds on to his hope to become an astronaut.

In between the passages of narration are inserted short scenes that with simple, everyday situations, allow us to better understand the logic and lies that rule his world.

Although the absence of his parents weighs heavy on his mind, he is most preoccupied with helping others. He cares for his stubborn grandmother, attentively listening to her repetitive stories. With the simultaneous insight of an old man, and the curiosity of the child he still is, he draws parallels between what he observes and what he experiences.

Albeit moments of tragic real world realism, the movie glows with the nostalgic warmth of movies like Amelie and childhood stories like Le Petit Nicolas.

Luisa Andonie

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...