Blogs, Free Foreign Film Friday

Child star brings warmth, sheds light through grim realism

“Valentin” – Argentina, France, Italy – Netflix instant watch

The daily joys and woes of nine-year-old Valentin are genuinely recounted in this artistic film that is built on a narrative frame made up almost entirely of the boy’s disarmingly charming voiceovers.

Living in 1960s Buenos Aires, he resourcefully fights to maintain his youthful optimism while his grandmother who cares for him, resourcefully manages to maintain him. Yet, even as his family offers condescension and dismissal, he holds on to his hope to become an astronaut.

In between the passages of narration are inserted short scenes that with simple, everyday situations, allow us to better understand the logic and lies that rule his world.

Although the absence of his parents weighs heavy on his mind, he is most preoccupied with helping others. He cares for his stubborn grandmother, attentively listening to her repetitive stories. With the simultaneous insight of an old man, and the curiosity of the child he still is, he draws parallels between what he observes and what he experiences.

Albeit moments of tragic real world realism, the movie glows with the nostalgic warmth of movies like Amelie and childhood stories like Le Petit Nicolas.

Luisa Andonie

Day Two of spring practice began at about 9 a.m. or thereafter on Wednesday at the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Prosecutors have released video that shows ex-University of Miami star running back Mark Walton snat ...

The word “swag” was mentioned multiple times Tuesday at the inaugural Miami Hurricanes spring practi ...

How did Tate Martell’s Phoenix-based attorney, Travis Leach, convince the NCAA to permit Martell to ...

After a quick courtship, Daran Branch is the newest member of the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020. A ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

The University of Miami's Raheem Chambers was named the ACC Men's Outdoor Track Performer ...

Hear from the Hurricanes as they opened up day one of spring football inside the IPF. ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

Miami rises 13 spots to No. 23 nationally. ...