Students should shape up body image beliefs

After witnessing the parade of partial nudity this past Halloween, something just didn’t sit right with me. The stark contrast between my former life as a Rhode Islander and my current life as a Miami student became blaringly obvious.

When I first made the transition as a freshman, I had absolutely no idea what I was in for. What shocked me most about the change was that, while my workload seemed to quadruple, the extent to which my clothing covered my skin seemed to shrink by a third.

It wasn’t because I wanted to show off my rockin’ bod. Also, I had no intention of attracting fraternity guys.

Maybe it’s the nature of Miami, or maybe it’s just the nature of college in general. But, simply put, that’s just how everyone around me was dressing. And to avoid sticking out like a sore thumb, I followed the unspoken dress code my peers had defined for me.

Without even realizing it, I had been sucked into the vortex of Miami culture. I was constantly worried about my appearance. I tried to look presentable for class, and I even started wearing make up regularly – something I laughed at girls for doing in high school.

I wasn’t equipped to respond to statements like, “Oh my god. I feel so fat,” or “I can’t eat today,” because never before had I cared about my weight. As long as I was happily hoarding potato chips down my throat, I was (and still am) a happy girl.

But the year progressed, and I saw beautiful girls work out three times a day, take medicine that would prevent hunger and even make themselves sick to feel skinny.

In Miami, it is especially dangerous for girls to succumb to these unspoken social constraints regarding body image and weight. Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness, and the severity of an individual’s disorder can rapidly increase in environments that promote the importance of being skinny and fit.

Girls, if you are reading this, no guy is ever worth the effort if you feel like you need to starve yourself to get his attention. You know you want that big ol’ bacon cheeseburger, and you know damn well how great it tastes with some curly fries.

Guys, if you’re reading this, grow up, because quite frankly, I’m sick of giving up meat to be treated like a piece of one.

Jamie Servidio is a sophomore majoring in journalism.

Jamie Servidio

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

Sophomore Aloki Patel, a double major in Biology and Criminology in the pre-med track, spent spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...