Edge, Music, Q & A + Profiles

Opera singer balances school, musical career

Photo Courtesy Ariel Rose

Photo Courtesy Ariel Rose

For most of us, college is a balancing act. There are classes, homework, clubs, meetings, tutoring – not to mention the ever-present temptations that South Florida offers. But for sophomore Ariel Snihur, college isn’t just about making time for a Starbucks fix before psych – it’s about balancing a full-blown musical career with being a full-time college student.

Ariel Snihur, or Ariel Rose as she’s known in the music world, is a student at the Frost School of Music. She has also released a full-length album, along with several other singles, and is a regular performer throughout Florida. November marked the release of the music video for her song, “Get Somebody Up (On the Dance Floor),” a pop track with an infectious beat.

The Miami Hurricane got the chance to sit down with Snihur to talk about her career and how she copes with being a singer and a student.

Pop to Opera

Snihur has been pursuing music from the time she was 6 years old. Growing up, she sang pop and musical theater all around her hometown of Miami. In fact, she released her first CD, “Rhythms of Life,” when she was just 15.

The CD showcases Snihur’s strong pop vibe and the Latin influence of Miami, with singing in both English and Spanish. It was produced by Juan Vincente Zambrano, who was nominated for several Latin Grammy awards.

However, Snihur also has an interest in an entirely different genre of music.

“I was taking lessons with my vocal coach down here and he said, ‘Oh, why don’t you try singing some opera,’” recalled the singer.

At first, she was not too keen on the idea. However, opera became an important part of her life and her music. She even chose to study it here at UM.

“Opera is the best training you could possibly get,” Snihur added.

Chasing Opportunities

Described on her website as the “‘Go To’ Girl for the National Anthem,” Snihur regularly performs at sporting events for teams such as the Marlins and the Panthers, as well as at many other venues around Florida.

Snihur has also had the opportunity to not only attend the Latin Grammy awards twice, but to perform at one of the Latin Grammy street parties in New York and walk the carpet.

These experiences have made singing in front of a stadium second-nature.

“If there’s three people, I’ll get a little bit nervous, but if there’s 20, 30, 40,000 people, I’m so calm,” she said.

Under Pressure

However, the life of an artist does have its struggles. In addition to balancing the chaotic schedule of a musician, Snihur is taking 12 classes this semester at Frost and is a sister of the sorority Alpha Delta Pi.

“I go crazy, honestly,” admitted Snihur of her hectic schedule.

But she continues to balance a professional and academic career well while recording and performing. Doing so requires constant focus and effort.

“Even when I’m about to sing at a stadium, I’ll be writing an essay right before I go on,” she said with a laugh.

To find out about upcoming performances and see the video for “Get Somebody Up (On the Dance Floor),” check out Snihur’s website, iamarielrose.com.

Marlee Lisker

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...