News Briefs 11/21

Great American Smokeout

Join in The Great American Smokeout on Thursday from noon to 2 p.m. There will be free counseling, free food, free blood pressure screenings, a sign up for free nicotine replacement, straw tests and taste strips. This event is sponsored by the American Cancer Society and was established to encourage smokers to not smoke on that day and make plans to quit smoking for good. Visit miami.edu/smokefree to find resources to quit smoking.

Sebastian for Charity

Sebastian the Ibis was caught stepping on the University seal. He has been arrested for charity and all bail money to set him free will benefit the United Way. This will take place from 1 to 3 p.m. on Thursday on the UC Rock.

Dance Competition

The International Dance Competition 2013 “Happily Ever After” will take place at 8 p.m. on Thursday on the Rock. Amateur and professional dance teams will showcase various cultural dances and movements. Light refreshments will be served.

Toy Drive

Each year the Butler Center for Service and Leadership coordinates the collection of gifts for underprivileged residents of Miami. The toy collection for Holiday Hope Tree, the university’s longest running holiday toy drive, will take place until Dec. 16. Anyone may drop off new and unwrapped toys to the UC info desk. For more information or to get involved, email holidayhopetree@gmail.com.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The word “swag” was mentioned multiple times Tuesday at the inaugural Miami Hurricanes spring practi ...

How did Tate Martell’s Phoenix-based attorney, Travis Leach, convince the NCAA to permit Martell to ...

After a quick courtship, Daran Branch is the newest member of the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020. A ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ high-profile quarterback competition just got super spicy. Tate Martell, the 2 ...

Lots of Hurricanes nuggets on the first day of spring practice: ▪ The UM offense officially entered ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

Three School of Architecture students recount their first day in Switzerland, and some of the archit ...

In the aftermath of the powerful tornado that devastated a rural Alabama community, a UM storm exper ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

Hear from the Hurricanes as they opened up day one of spring football inside the IPF. ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

Miami rises 13 spots to No. 23 nationally. ...

Going a perfect 5-0 in doubles action, freshmen Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias collected Miami ...