News Briefs 11/21

Great American Smokeout

Join in The Great American Smokeout on Thursday from noon to 2 p.m. There will be free counseling, free food, free blood pressure screenings, a sign up for free nicotine replacement, straw tests and taste strips. This event is sponsored by the American Cancer Society and was established to encourage smokers to not smoke on that day and make plans to quit smoking for good. Visit miami.edu/smokefree to find resources to quit smoking.

Sebastian for Charity

Sebastian the Ibis was caught stepping on the University seal. He has been arrested for charity and all bail money to set him free will benefit the United Way. This will take place from 1 to 3 p.m. on Thursday on the UC Rock.

Dance Competition

The International Dance Competition 2013 “Happily Ever After” will take place at 8 p.m. on Thursday on the Rock. Amateur and professional dance teams will showcase various cultural dances and movements. Light refreshments will be served.

Toy Drive

Each year the Butler Center for Service and Leadership coordinates the collection of gifts for underprivileged residents of Miami. The toy collection for Holiday Hope Tree, the university’s longest running holiday toy drive, will take place until Dec. 16. Anyone may drop off new and unwrapped toys to the UC info desk. For more information or to get involved, email holidayhopetree@gmail.com.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

Bennie Blades will serve as host of the UMSHoF's Eighth Annual Celebrity Bowling Tournament, on ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...