Law school hosts carnival

Law school students will close their books Friday for the annual Canes Carnival.

The University of Miami School of Law will host the carnival from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m., inviting third and fourth grade students from Edison Park K-8 Center, a local high-needs elementary school.

“Canes Carnival is designed to do several things,” said Marni Lennon, faculty adviser to the law school’s Society of Bar and Gavel and assistant dean of the law school’s public interest and pro bono programs. “First, to bring kids from the community to campus for an afternoon of fun, and second to remind students that aside from their studies they have a responsibility to give back.”

Canes Carnival is led by the Society of Bar and Gavel, an honor society.

“It’s so much fun,” said Lauren Pettiette, vice president of Bar and Gavel. “We usually do a sponge booth, so it’s really funny to see the kids get so excited about hitting one of their friends in the face with a sponge.”

Several student organizations from the law school will have booths for the kids to enjoy, including a bean bag toss, a relay event, musical chairs and arts and crafts.

IF YOU GO

What: Canes Carnival

Where: School of Law

When: 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. Friday

Lainey Meiri

University of Miami President Julio Frenk and Miami-Dade Public Schools Superintendent Alberto Carva

Experts in the Department of Political Science’s 2020 election class explain why all eyes may be on

The Frost School of Music’s Band of the Hour discovers new ways to deliver school spirit at the Hard

Lauren Markwith played four years with Miami Hurricanes soccer. Now, she is on staff for Inter Miami

Sierra Domb uses her communications skills to raise awareness of and funding for studies on a sensor