Law school hosts carnival

Law school students will close their books Friday for the annual Canes Carnival.

The University of Miami School of Law will host the carnival from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m., inviting third and fourth grade students from Edison Park K-8 Center, a local high-needs elementary school.

“Canes Carnival is designed to do several things,” said Marni Lennon, faculty adviser to the law school’s Society of Bar and Gavel and assistant dean of the law school’s public interest and pro bono programs. “First, to bring kids from the community to campus for an afternoon of fun, and second to remind students that aside from their studies they have a responsibility to give back.”

Canes Carnival is led by the Society of Bar and Gavel, an honor society.

“It’s so much fun,” said Lauren Pettiette, vice president of Bar and Gavel. “We usually do a sponge booth, so it’s really funny to see the kids get so excited about hitting one of their friends in the face with a sponge.”

Several student organizations from the law school will have booths for the kids to enjoy, including a bean bag toss, a relay event, musical chairs and arts and crafts.

IF YOU GO

What: Canes Carnival

Where: School of Law

When: 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. Friday

Lainey Meiri

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...