Law school hosts carnival

Law school students will close their books Friday for the annual Canes Carnival.

The University of Miami School of Law will host the carnival from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m., inviting third and fourth grade students from Edison Park K-8 Center, a local high-needs elementary school.

“Canes Carnival is designed to do several things,” said Marni Lennon, faculty adviser to the law school’s Society of Bar and Gavel and assistant dean of the law school’s public interest and pro bono programs. “First, to bring kids from the community to campus for an afternoon of fun, and second to remind students that aside from their studies they have a responsibility to give back.”

Canes Carnival is led by the Society of Bar and Gavel, an honor society.

“It’s so much fun,” said Lauren Pettiette, vice president of Bar and Gavel. “We usually do a sponge booth, so it’s really funny to see the kids get so excited about hitting one of their friends in the face with a sponge.”

Several student organizations from the law school will have booths for the kids to enjoy, including a bean bag toss, a relay event, musical chairs and arts and crafts.

IF YOU GO

What: Canes Carnival

Where: School of Law

When: 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. Friday

Lainey Meiri

Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic has been through more trauma in the ...

The words “Sweet 16” may never have been uttered as the Miami Hurricanes were laying out their prese ...

The mid-major monster nearly mauled the Miami Hurricanes again. But Miami bit back. Miami’s past thr ...

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team will play fifth-seeded Arizona State in a top-2 ...

The Hurricanes made a ninth inning rally, but came up just short to No. 5 NC State, 7-6. ...

Kevin Arreaga of the University of Miami track and field team won the men's hammer throw on Sat ...

The Hurricanes received two key signatures from transfers in December's early signing period. ...

The Hurricanes travel to Chapel Hill, N.C., to battle the 11th-ranked Tar Heels. ...