V's Take

Dear V: I want a new toy …

V,

I was pretty excited because I asked this guy I thought was cute if he wanted to go to semi-formal with me. He said yes. But, I have a problem: I don’t want to go with him anymore. I’m scared he’ll be a boring date. What do I do? Is it too late to back out? What would I even tell him? Help!

Sincerely,

Bored and Alone

Dear Bridget Jones,

If you keep trying to find something better, you’ll never be content with what’s right in front of you.

I agree, Hugh Grant is a bad boy and he’s so much more exciting than Colin Firth at first – but when you really get down to the nitty gritty, he’s a two-timing manwhore who never cared about Renee Zellweger in the first place.

The fact of the matter is: If you invited him, you have to stick to it. Just because he may be a bit boring through texts or Facebook messages doesn’t mean that this behavior will translate to the dance floor. Large crowds and liquid courage often help people loosen up and have a good time, and there’s no reason why the same won’t be true for this guy.

If you’re absolutely dead set on uninviting him, then just tell him that your best friend wants you to take her boyfriend’s friend because she doesn’t want him to feel awkward with a bunch of girls. Or tell him that you got malaria and then magically get better 24 hours before the party. “I’m cured,” you’ll say as you load the bus with your roommate’s hot brother.

I would own up to your initial decision and go with this guy. Who knows? Maybe he’ll turn out to be one real weird motherfu*&^r.

Just don’t wear a super tight leather bunny outfit to Easter brunch. That ain’t cute for nobody.

Advice Columnist

The word “swag” was mentioned multiple times Tuesday at the inaugural Miami Hurricanes spring practi ...

How did Tate Martell’s Phoenix-based attorney, Travis Leach, convince the NCAA to permit Martell to ...

After a quick courtship, Daran Branch is the newest member of the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020. A ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ high-profile quarterback competition just got super spicy. Tate Martell, the 2 ...

Lots of Hurricanes nuggets on the first day of spring practice: ▪ The UM offense officially entered ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

Three School of Architecture students recount their first day in Switzerland, and some of the archit ...

In the aftermath of the powerful tornado that devastated a rural Alabama community, a UM storm exper ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

Hear from the Hurricanes as they opened up day one of spring football inside the IPF. ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

Miami rises 13 spots to No. 23 nationally. ...

Going a perfect 5-0 in doubles action, freshmen Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias collected Miami ...