Basketball, Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Sports Briefs 11/18

Women’s Basketball

The Miami women’s basketball team fell to Middle Tennessee, 61-55, at the BankUnited Center on Friday. The Canes hung tough with the Blue Raiders for most of the game, but never managed to reclaim a lead after a 36-36 tie in the second half.

“We just didn’t play with any strategy tonight,” coach Katie Meier said. “We didn’t have a strategic approach to the game.”

Jassany Williams snagged 17 rebounds, a career high for the Miami junior.

Cross Country

Five runners posted record times at the 2013 NCAA South Regional this past weekend. Miami had eight representatives compete in total, including senior Sean Pezzulo, who set a UM record in the men’s 10K.

Pezzulo finished in 31:29, good for 54th place among 173 runners in Tuscaloosa, Ala.

“Sean had to battle back from injuries during the season,” coach Damon Griffiths said. “That makes today’s performance even sweeter.”

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

Tufaan, the University of Miami’s South Asian a cappella group, needs the community’s help to advanc

Dr. Brandon Chatani, a Miller School of Medicine infectious disease specialist, offers advice on way

With the federal Endangered Species Act in danger, University of Miami researchers find that state p

An online exhibit spotlights the talents of two University of Miami incoming Master of Fine Arts gra

Casey Klofstad, political science professor, explains why and how voters should pay attention to pol