Social media responsibility should be two-way street

When seniors submit their college applications, they’re no longer just a name on a paper. With a quick Google search or visit to Facebook, admissions officers can bring their applicants to life.

Recent research by Kaplan Test Prep suggests that this sort of social media snooping is at its highest level yet. Although this may sound like an added obstacle for students going through an already complicated admissions process, our generation knows it’s nothing new. In fact, we’ll probably experience the same thing when we apply for jobs.

Students who are intelligent about posting online have nothing to worry about – especially if their profiles are private. Public posts, however, can be seen by anyone on the Internet. Thus, admissions officers have the right to look at what applicants are doing online.

It’s understandable for colleges to be wary of admitting someone who engages in illegal behavior or doesn’t uphold standards that the university promotes. However, there are ways in which one’s online presence can be misleading. Admissions officers might come across a fake profile or another person with the same name, which misrepresents the applicant.

Moreover, if a university uses unethical methods to gather online information about a student, such as hacking, an increasingly commonplace practice becomes an invasion of privacy. If students have taken measures to make sure that their profiles are private, then the colleges shouldn’t take extraordinary measures to hack into these accounts. It’s not only about principle but logic. The university’s concern is how a student would represent the institution, so a private profile should be none its business.

When universities aim to paint a clearer picture of prospective students, they should make their intentions clearer as well. Giving notice about the potential review of applicants’ social media profiles would allow schools to appear more transparent about their policies while also deterring students who would not have been the best candidates.

That puts the responsibility on students to be smart on social media. It’s easy to tarnish a reputation with a simple photo. But it’s just as easy to portray yourself in the best light: Share links conveying your interests and post statuses demonstrating a positive attitude.

Our online identities are a direct reflection of our actions in real life. Whether we’re applying for college or careers, it’s our full-time job to maintain our reputations online.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...