Social media responsibility should be two-way street

When seniors submit their college applications, they’re no longer just a name on a paper. With a quick Google search or visit to Facebook, admissions officers can bring their applicants to life.

Recent research by Kaplan Test Prep suggests that this sort of social media snooping is at its highest level yet. Although this may sound like an added obstacle for students going through an already complicated admissions process, our generation knows it’s nothing new. In fact, we’ll probably experience the same thing when we apply for jobs.

Students who are intelligent about posting online have nothing to worry about – especially if their profiles are private. Public posts, however, can be seen by anyone on the Internet. Thus, admissions officers have the right to look at what applicants are doing online.

It’s understandable for colleges to be wary of admitting someone who engages in illegal behavior or doesn’t uphold standards that the university promotes. However, there are ways in which one’s online presence can be misleading. Admissions officers might come across a fake profile or another person with the same name, which misrepresents the applicant.

Moreover, if a university uses unethical methods to gather online information about a student, such as hacking, an increasingly commonplace practice becomes an invasion of privacy. If students have taken measures to make sure that their profiles are private, then the colleges shouldn’t take extraordinary measures to hack into these accounts. It’s not only about principle but logic. The university’s concern is how a student would represent the institution, so a private profile should be none its business.

When universities aim to paint a clearer picture of prospective students, they should make their intentions clearer as well. Giving notice about the potential review of applicants’ social media profiles would allow schools to appear more transparent about their policies while also deterring students who would not have been the best candidates.

That puts the responsibility on students to be smart on social media. It’s easy to tarnish a reputation with a simple photo. But it’s just as easy to portray yourself in the best light: Share links conveying your interests and post statuses demonstrating a positive attitude.

Our online identities are a direct reflection of our actions in real life. Whether we’re applying for college or careers, it’s our full-time job to maintain our reputations online.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...