Social media responsibility should be two-way street

When seniors submit their college applications, they’re no longer just a name on a paper. With a quick Google search or visit to Facebook, admissions officers can bring their applicants to life.

Recent research by Kaplan Test Prep suggests that this sort of social media snooping is at its highest level yet. Although this may sound like an added obstacle for students going through an already complicated admissions process, our generation knows it’s nothing new. In fact, we’ll probably experience the same thing when we apply for jobs.

Students who are intelligent about posting online have nothing to worry about – especially if their profiles are private. Public posts, however, can be seen by anyone on the Internet. Thus, admissions officers have the right to look at what applicants are doing online.

It’s understandable for colleges to be wary of admitting someone who engages in illegal behavior or doesn’t uphold standards that the university promotes. However, there are ways in which one’s online presence can be misleading. Admissions officers might come across a fake profile or another person with the same name, which misrepresents the applicant.

Moreover, if a university uses unethical methods to gather online information about a student, such as hacking, an increasingly commonplace practice becomes an invasion of privacy. If students have taken measures to make sure that their profiles are private, then the colleges shouldn’t take extraordinary measures to hack into these accounts. It’s not only about principle but logic. The university’s concern is how a student would represent the institution, so a private profile should be none its business.

When universities aim to paint a clearer picture of prospective students, they should make their intentions clearer as well. Giving notice about the potential review of applicants’ social media profiles would allow schools to appear more transparent about their policies while also deterring students who would not have been the best candidates.

That puts the responsibility on students to be smart on social media. It’s easy to tarnish a reputation with a simple photo. But it’s just as easy to portray yourself in the best light: Share links conveying your interests and post statuses demonstrating a positive attitude.

Our online identities are a direct reflection of our actions in real life. Whether we’re applying for college or careers, it’s our full-time job to maintain our reputations online.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...